ad: elecraft

Trouble differentiating "H", "S", and "5"

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KC3HUM, May 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Your goal is to use CW to communicate, right?

Put down the apps, forget about Farnsworth, and start listening to the QSOs of others (try around 7050 in the evenings). As soon as you know what most QSOs sound like, start getting on the air yourself.

You can study Morse all you want with apps, but the only way to get proficient at CW is to get on the air. Likewise, you can learn with Farnsworth, but will probably not be using it on the air, and as a result you will almost certainly find yourself "unlearning" it anyway.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    NA1S, N7BKV and K3XR like this.
  2. KC3HUM

KC3HUM Ham Member QRZ Page

Honestly i think the app is great though. I do plan to get on the air as soon as i know all the characters. I hope to have this happen in 2-4 weeks at my current learning rate.

I can practice via the app while at work, driving, etc when im not near my radio. I am listening to qsos though on the air when i can.

Thanks for the encouraging posts everyone. I turned the character speed down to 19wpm and all of a sudden i can now tell the difference (much better than before at least) between s and h.
    Kinda wierd. May have been the headphones im using or just the app but i feel the code is much clearer now. 18wpm is even easier for s and h.

3. KC3HUM

KC3HUM Ham Member QRZ Page

Jq2uoz. Excellent website. Well done and im going to save that. I would prefer a 20wpm option if you ever update the website, but ill give those 25wpm words a listen when i get there. Thanks!

4. KE6EE

KE6EE Ham Member QRZ Page

I suggest you work at a speed where character element or letter recognition is absolutely clear and easy.

When you work at a higher speed than that you cannot learn; i.e. in computer terms, too high a speed is not
    put into memory. What you cannot see (or hear) you cannot process.

All learning needs to proceed no faster than at a speed at which each detail is clear to YOU. Forget the
    advice about "best" speeds for learning. We are individuals and we learn at different rates and at different
    speeds.

In attempting to learn anything at all, you need to pay attention to what works and what does not. You do yourself
    a disservice when you ignore what your real experience is telling you. Ignoring what is actually going on only impedes
    the actual learning process and extends the learning time.

5. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

I use Farnsworth to get warmed up if I have been away a few days. Not all of us can be "on" everyday or even every week.

I also use Farnsworth as an aide to pushing up my receive speed. Amazing how a seemingly slight push (additional 5 wpm?) turns out to not be slight. It only takes a few spins with Farnsworth pacing to start backing it off to normal timing, depending if just for review or pushing up the speed. Of course, normal timing sticks best if I can operate for a few days. Sometimes that happens.

I also use the Begali CW Machine to check my sending. I have a sideswiper & is new to me. I have been a sk guy for decades. Then ... I decided that I wanted more than 20 wpm. A lot more. Long story short, there is nothing like an all manual method to humble yourself. Cadence? hahahaha Talk about feeling like an uncoordinated clutz!!! I am getting an idea as to why white guys can't dance.

Anyway, the CW Machine does a good job of decoding what is sent at the chosen speed. I had to slow my sending speed <5wpm to finally get it moving. The letter "F" was a huge challenge!?!?! It took a while to get sending (w/ sideswiper) up to my receive speed.

I am all about getting on the air for real copy. But lower speed CW can be pretty messy. With my "aid-ed" method of pushing up my receive speed, I find getting the messy a bit easier.

6. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

Just keep copying at a comfortable speed, and your ears will work it out. I had a big problem with mixing up "F", and "L". Eventually, I started hearing the difference.

7. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I started to get more confident when I quit the training programs with the random figures and started coping the W1AW transmissions at the online achieves.

N7BKV likes this.
  8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Similar to the "S","H","5" syndrome. This originally threw me off me off also. So did the "Q" and "Y".
    All eventually disappeared.

W9RAC likes this.
  9. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

S,H,5 sound different at 7, 13, 20 WPM. so if you do not want to relearn them as you progress leave them at 20. It's one less thing to have to deal with later. Use the spacing as you are to give you more recall time. Once you got the sounds down at 20 then all you have to work on is reduction of the recall time. Just sayin, 73 Rich

10. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Well said sir. 73 Rich