Tropospheric scatter thread

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KK4YWN, Nov 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KE7AGK

KE7AGK Ham Member QRZ Page

A local shop here in the area has two AN/TRC-97 Troposcatter military terminals he is wanting to sell "for ham use". It wouldn't be very practical to use these, since they would need heavy modification just get into the legal bands. But, my background with the TRC-170 variant made me take a look at them at least. Would make a nice shelter or radio shack though. (As long as the shelters don't leak.)

2. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a 6 meter CW beacon up in Ohio, that I can hear just about every day. It is approximately 812 miles north of me. If I park on it's frequency, usually in a 5 minute period I will hear it. Not sure if that is meteor scatter, ionoscatter or troposcatter. (Probably a mixture of all of them) Some days it is quite steady for minutes at a time. It runs 95 watts to a 3 element yagi pointed south at 50'.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Meteor scatter rarely produces a "hearable" signal for more than a second or two at a time; there are some longer bursts that can last several seconds, but those are rare and I've never heard a burst last 30 or 60 seconds or anything like that.

During a major meteor shower or storm, there can be "so many" meteors in the path that you can get lots and lots of bursts to produce a nearly consistent signal. But those are also rare occurrences.

What you describe is more likely a different type of propagation.

Sporadic-E occurs a lot more often than people think; we don't notice it because "if everybody's listening, nobody hears anything." But with a 95W beacon and a gain antenna, if you park your receiver there and monitor 24 hours a day, it's possible to catch some E-skip almost every day, although it may be brief and weak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.