Tropospheric ducting or scatter vertically polarized?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KJ4RZZ, May 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Use two beams pointed at a water tower and use it to bounce signals off of. :)

With a antenna in the attic, Repeaters may be the only good option.

Good Luck.

AD5KO likes this.
  2. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahah! Thank you for this. After some searching this photo helped me understand.

[​IMG]
    "The "radio horizon" distance tends to be approximately 1.3 times greater than the optical horizon because of RF refracting or bending as it follows the curvature of the earth"

Ok so this gets us up to 23 miles

3. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Have either or both of you ever had simplex contacts using this equipment?
    Can either of you hear anything at all from the other person?
    If one of you gets in a car and drives closer can you make contact with this equipment?

It could be an equipment configuration error if none of the above work.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

With no obstructions.
    There is no chance that it could be operator error. This is ham radio. :D

5. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Same as the TRam, the other brand name that I cannot think of at the moment. I spent extra time on water proofing the joints and it has worked well for 6 years.

6. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been thinking of upgrading to the 1481, the 1480 works so well.

7. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes.

8. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't pay much mind to the radio horizon. There is a valley north of me where a couple hams sometimes work 2m ssb. They're 60 miles out, running 50w, and there is a ridge of mountains between us.

Its a tough copy, but we've made contact many times in the past.

What you guys are attempting to do is challenging. Ask you friend if he's init to winit, and if so, start "building the circuit" by eliminating inefficiencies and optimizing resources.

Keep notes, have fun, and if something doesn't work try to sort out why it didn't work before changing the circuit.

You'll both be super-hams (technically speaking) in a few months. Like any hobby: you get out what you put in.

9. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes... you can hear each other some of the time but not well enough to make contact?
    Yes...One of you can hear the other but not vice versa?
    Yes to one of the other questions, but neither of you have heard anything from the other?
    Are you both transmitting the same RF power ?

I think that given the terrain and equipment description, that a link might be possible given some improvements. But if you don't hear anything at all ever, maybe something else is wrong.

Too much noise at one or both locations.
    Indoor antenna on one side with too much loss (Can he temporarily put something up outdoors on a pole or in a window that faces your direction for a test?)

10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll make this simple and directly to the point...

On your end, it's your RG-8 coax.

On his end it's because his antenna is installed indoors, inside the attic.

The combination of these two situations is resulting in no contacting one another.

K6CLS likes this.