Tripod Mounted Portable Antenna Recommendations?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KN4VDR, Jun 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K9NAX

K9NAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Josh,

The BEST Antenna I've found for portable HF use on a tripod is the MFJ Feather Lite - "MFJ-2982"
    It is a 31 Ft wire vertical 80-6m 600 W - extremely light and portable. Actually found a carrying bag for it and refer to it as 'Bag-Antenna'. It is extremely easy for one person to set up and take down. And it performs like you wouldn't believe! And the price is reasonable at $160.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a link to it.
    https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-2982

Cyndi M Gillies - K9NAX

KN4VDR likes this.
  2. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Tripods.
    Bigger is better until it takes a winch to more it. Weigh down the legs! Or nail it down some way. If given half a chance they will all tip over, especially if you've got something 'tall' on it.
    I'll use them if I have to, but don't trust them at all, they hate me for some reason, I think. (A lot like my 'Ex', you know?) The higher you put them the more likely they are to fall over. I don't mind driving a few 2 foot stakes in the ground to hold them down, but really don't like the idea of making holes in my roof! (It okay, just do it right the first time.)

3. KN4VDR

KN4VDR Ham Member QRZ Page

That's pretty cool Cyndi, did it come with that tripod? I'd love to see more pictures of it!