ad: AbAuRe-1

Trio TS-510 Power Supply

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by K6YF, Mar 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. K6YF

K6YF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a TS-510 in very good condx that I want to restore but after getting it home, I see that it is wired for 220V. I have schematics for it but it shows it wired for 110V. There isn't any switch, plug etc on the power supply to operate at 110V and the schematic doesn't have wire colors marked clearly. Anyway, long story short can someone please supply me with info to get this fine piece of gear to run on 110V? I have a step-up transformer but I'd like to see a little more elegant solution if possible.

Tnx
    Robert K6YF

2. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you looked underneath? Most rigs like this are adjusted for different mains voltages by re-wiring the taps on the mains transformer.

They are usually clearly marked, so you should be able to see the taps on the two primary windings . . . typically these will be marked 0 - 110 -120V.

So for 220 V, the two windings will be in series, so the mains will be connected between 0 on winding 1, and 110 on winding 2, with a link between 110 on winding 1 and 0 on winding 2.

For 110 V the two windings need to be in parallel, so leave the mains connected between 0 on winding 1, and 110 on winding 2, and connect the two 0s together and also the two 110s. (and remove the link between 110 and 0)

Roger G3YRO

3. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

According to the manual for the TS-510 located here...

http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/Trio_TS510_user_F5HSH.pdf

and the manual for the PS-510 located here...

http://www.cieri.net/Documenti/Kenw...d Speaker Unit for TS-510 SSB Transceiver.pdf

the source voltage for the PS-510 is AC 230/250 @ 50/60 Hz. The manual says there is a selector on the rear panel of the power supply from which you can choose 230v AC or 250v AC. There is no choice for 120v and neither manual makes reference to 120v operation. And, I can not find any online reference that indicates the PS-510 can operate from 110v/120v mains.

Dan KI4AX

N2EY likes this.
  4. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking at the schematic, it is clear that the PS-510 has only a single 250 volt primary, with tap for 230 volts. There is no provision for any other input voltage.

So @K6YF has two options:

1) Run a 230 volt line to the shack (unless one already exists) and power the rig from it.

2) Use a step-up transformer or autotransformer, to get the required voltage to run the rig.

73 de Jim, N2EY

5. G3YRO

How very unusual !

That tends to imply this rig was never intended for sale in the USA . . .

But I've never heard of it and certainly never seen one, despite working in the business shortly after it was in production. So doubt if many were sold in Britain.

It looks like a similar rig to Yaesu's FT200, ie nearly all valve, with a separate PSU.

Roger G3YRO

6. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

The Trio-Kenwood TS-510 appeared in the late 1960s. It uses the same heterodyne scheme as the Heathkit SB-100, SB-101, SB-102, HW-100, HW-101, and the related separates. It was replaced by the TS-511, and was later replaced by the TS-520.

It is mostly hollow-state, with a few transistors used as oscillators. Also diode switching, which was unusual for the time.

It is completely different inside from the Yaesu FT-200.

However, there is one amazing similarity between the two, besides the time of their introduction.

For sale in the USA, the Yaesu FT-200 was rebadged as the Henry Tempo One, and sold through Henry Radio. Despite its popularity, it was never reviewed in QST.

For sale in the USA, the Trio/Kenwood TS-510 was rebadged as the Allied A-2517, and sold through Allied Radio. It was reviewed in QST for November 1970.

The A-2517 had a power supply that could run from USA mains

7. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

The TS-500 series went from the TS-500 which I only have seen in an ad in a German magazine but never "in the flesh", the TS-510, the TS-511 and finally the TS-515, which had considerably changed exteriors with brushed aluminium front panel and trim.

Quite close relatives to the FT-200 design-wise were the Galaxy V and GT-550 transceivers.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    N2EY likes this.
  8. K6YF

K6YF Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, those replies echo exactly what I was able to discern. I was hoping there was a 'hidden' tap on the transformer not easily seen because the service manual has a very poor schematic. 'Poor' in the sense that the copy is illegible in places which makes it very difficult to trace out windings on the power transformer.
    No problem though because as I mentioned, I do have a step-up/down transformer.

Maybe I might be able to find a Brit willing to pay the $600 or so shipping (Man, this baby is HEAVY! :eek:) to mail it to 'G' land...are you listening Roger? ;-)

Thanks gents - I appreciate the insight. I hope to get the radio up and running and maybe use it myself for a while before putting it on the market.

Robert K6YF

9. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Never seen a TS-500 either
    Some difference:
    TS-510 used a pair of S2001 / 6146A
    TS-511 used a pair of 6LQ6's
    TS-515 used a pair of S2001 / 6146A
    TS-515S used a pair of 6LQ6's

10. G3YRO

Interesting that they alternated between 6146s to 6LQ6s !

Roger G3YRO