Tribute to the Elmer (Closed)

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4GKS, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W2AI

W2AI Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Grief; this depiction is not "politically correct"!! The old man has put his hand on the minor. Years from now, when the minor becomes an adult--he will accuse the old man of being sexually abusive...What was Norman Rockwell thinking???.......LOL!!!!:eek:

VE6NS, WN6U, W4IOA and 1 other person like this.
  3. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I knew this post was coming. Just surprised it too so long.

WZ7U likes this.
  4. W2AI

W2AI Ham Member QRZ Page

Seriously, Casey. Politics in general has really sunken to new lows nationwide and locally. Anybody can accuse anyone of anything out of spite or political retribution--even to get their 15 minutes of fame. Taking it on a Local level, for both major political parties--it is getting quite difficult to find qualified individuals to run for public office. Attacks on character, family and business coupled with rumors and innuendos are now very commonplace.

WU8Y and K1OIK like this.
  5. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you saying the accusations aren't true?

6. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This thread certainly went from pleasant to the sewer in amazing speed

WZ7U, KK5JY, N6QIC and 5 others like this.
  7. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that illustration needs some explanation.

What I see depicted is a young lad demonstrating radio to his beloved grandfather. The boy is the Elmer.

K2CAJ likes this.
  8. GM3ZMA

GM3ZMA Ham Member QRZ Page

Quite possibly.

Also, the picture is a sweet representation from simpler, innocent times which have passed long ago.

Jim GM3ZMA

9. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Great pix! Trying to figure out which person is me.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

10. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm no expert on Norman Rockwell, but I've seen a lot of his work, I admire him greatly, and that's how the illustration reads to me.

(Norman Rockwell was first and foremost an illustrator).

I disagree.

"The times" were never "simpler" nor "innocent".

The illustration is from the cover of Literary Digest magazine for February 1920. That was a time of Prohibition, the beginning of the Roaring Twenties, and when millions were recovering from the Great War. American women were about to finally get the right to vote (August 1920). The Jazz Age was beginning, which many saw as a serious erosion of values and morality.

Most of Norman Rockwell's illustrations show an idealized view of American life and culture - not the reality. That's not a bad thing. He is quoted as saying "I paint my happiness - I do not live it".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.