Tribute to the Elmer 2.0

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AF7XI, Nov 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a couple of elmers. Primarily G0SZP who loaned me the license test study manuals, and G4MEO who spurred my interest in amateur radio to make the leap from shortwave listener to licensed ham. He also gave me the plans for and some aluminum tubing with which to construct a 2m slim jim antenna which I used once I got licensed.

AF7XI likes this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It was definitely in use in the late 60s when I was licensed, and I recall it being widely used in the 70s, too...but that may have been different in different areas.

N2EY and AF7XI like this.
  3. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Two hypotheses:

1. Occasionally we pick up on hobbies and avocations without prompting....but by and large, I'd guess most of us had someONE that inspired us.

2. That inspiration might be from afar, where the person may inspire another without even knowing it. Or it might be subtle. The best, "stickiest" inspiration is hands on - and is equal parts inspiration, patience and knowledge.

The good news is that today, it is possible for Elmers to use social media to be pretty sticky, and yet not know the person they are inspiring. Take Randy K7AGE for instance...as I returned to ham radio a few years ago after many years off the air, I found his videos to be that perfect combination of inspiring, patient and full of useful knowledge. It was clear that he enjoyed the hobby and that's what I wanted out of it. As importantly, Randy seems to enjoy the PROCESS of ham radio (the building / testing / installing) as much as the operating. This is key, as it is easy to get frustrated with things that stand in the way of operating. That's Elmering at its finest.

N2EY and AF7XI like this.
  4. W0CVR

W0CVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes...very possibly a regional term....as I said, I never used it or ever heard it until some time in the '80's.

AF7XI likes this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

OK

knock knock

who's there?

Elmer

Elmer who?

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Google is the only elmer i need. Like 42 the its answer to the meaning of life, the universe, and everything. Sans narcissism and douche baggery.

WZ7U likes this.
  7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm. Well, that explains a lot.

42 was Jackie Robinson.

AF7XI likes this.
  8. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KD7IOA Albert was my elmer. A kind man and loved to share his passions including ham radio, bonsai (over 150 plants), sailing, and chess.

K7YDL is my current elmer though he's 2300 miles away. Always willing to teach.

I have no issues about the term elmer.

AF7XI likes this.
  9. AF7XI

AF7XI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is the spirit of ham radio. And Elmer.

10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was licensed in 77 as well. I received an "Elmer Award" certificate from the league to present a ham who helped me, so I presented it to the guy who got me started and taught me code.

W0CVR and W4IOA like this.