ad: Bamatech-1

Tribute to the Elmer 2.0

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AF7XI, Nov 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. AF7XI

AF7XI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This image deserves a repost. The previous thread went down the internet dumper pretty quickly.

Thank you N4GKS for the original post.

Elmer.jpg

This image is titled "Grandpa Listening in on the Wireless" (Feb. 21, 1920 issue of Literary Digest). So perhaps the old timer isn't the Elmer, but the image is pleasant enough, hearkening back to a different, if not simpler, time.

Here's another Rockwell dealing with radio:

norman-rockwell-us-army-teaches-a-trade-(gi-telegrapher)-1919-print-L-18897.jpg

"U.S. Army Teaches a Trade"
    - Norman Rockwell

1919 United States Army recruiting poster

"Norman Rockwell's image of a G.I. telegrapher was meant to promote one of the benefits of military service: Army training would prepare a soldier with skills needed to get a job upon return to civilian life. This painting was one of several which Rockwell completed in the style of his friend and fellow Saturday Evening Post illustrator, J.C. Leyendecker. Well-known for advertising images commissioned by Arrow Shirt Collars, and House of Kuppenheimer, Leyendecker's deliberately thick, visible brushstrokes were emulated by Rockwell in this work. The inclusion of a border with related thematic insignias was also a motif which Leyendecker regularly employed."

K7WFM, W4IOA, N3AWS and 2 others like this.
  2. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice images and thanks for posting. However I really despise the term "elmer." :)

AF7XI, N6QIC, WF4W and 1 other person like this.
  3. W0CVR

W0CVR Ham Member QRZ Page

I was licensed in 1977 at 14 and don't remember ever using the term or even hearing it. I certainly didn't use it to refer to the gentleman who got me interested in amateur radio. Hmmm...

AF7XI and N7ZAL like this.
  4. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder how many here "elmered" themselves? There was a guy at the office who told me about the no-code license but that was about as far as that went, I dug in deeper and surpassed his license class and knowledge fairly quickly.

It brings up that image of some old wizard conjuring radio out of solder smoke and the glow of 3-500z's but real life never seemed to be more than some guy trying to sell you his old stuff so he could upgrade the shack.

WZ7U and AF7XI like this.
  5. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I never heard the term until i got back into hamradio circa 1980.... but read this about "Elmer":

"Elmer is a generic name for a Ham who helps other Hams get started in Amateur Radio. But where did the term "Elmer" come from? The term was coined by Rod Newkirk - W9BRD. He served as the conductor of the "Hows DX" column in QST magazine from 1948 to 1978.
    It all began with the "Hows DX" lead in the March 1971 issue"

AF7XI, W0CVR and N2EY like this.
  6. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Famous Elmers:
    1. Elmer Fudd
    2. Elmer Gantry
    3. Elmer, New Jersey
    4. Elmer's Glue

KD8ZMN and AF7XI like this.
  7. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

My elmer/mentor was Don Grant, KR6J (SK), when I first became (seriously) interested in ham radio back in the 1980s in San Diego, California. Probably the most valuable piece of advice he gave me was that you don't need to have an expensive, huge, antenna like his to have fun with ham radio. (He turned me on to Kurt Sterba's writings about antennas--great stuff!)

K1TGX and AF7XI like this.
  8. W0CVR

W0CVR Ham Member QRZ Page

How about that! Well....there you have it....!

AF7XI likes this.
  9. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

here;s the quote (lifted from wikipedia):

"Too frequently one hears a sad story in this little nutshell: 'Oh, I almost got a ticket, too, but Elmer, W9XYZ, moved away and I kind of lost interest.'" Newkirk went on to say, "We need those Elmers. All the Elmers, including the ham who took the most time and trouble to give you a push toward your license, are the birds who keep this great game young and fresh."

the bold underlined part is my own emphasis b/c it makes me chuckle...

AF7XI and W0CVR like this.
  10. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a great "knock-knock" joke about ELMER. Someone else start it please...

AF7XI likes this.