ad: elecraft

Tree-Mounted Antennas

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KI6CSJ, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

I built a tree top mount using 4 lengths of 1 1/2" angle & 8 pieces of (approx 1 1/4" dia.) steel pipe 1 1/2" long. The angle lengths are longer than the diameter of the tree to accept threaded stock through holes drilled on each end for clamping the 2 brackets together. The pipe pieces are welded onto the angle's flat surface so they will be vertical and parallel with the tree trunk when installed. When properly made the 4 pieces of pipe will be the only contact with the tree trunk. They should contact the trunk at 90 degree spacing.

Space the mounts about 3 feet apart and connect a length of EMT tube which will receive your slightly smaller dia mast which will be telescoped into the 3 foot tube bolted to the mounts.

This will allow the tree to grow into the air space between the pipe & angle. It worked quite well for me.

Top the (single trunk) tree first

2. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

If you plan to use a wire antenna on your Chinese Elm, I suggest that you use something similar to this to keep your wire tensioned:

3. M0DSZ

M0DSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Try a tanalised (treated) wooden pole about 2" diameter and as long as you need . A couple of wood screws should stop it turning and the rest of it is secured with those PVC straps sold to anchor juvenile trees to support posts. My "tree" is a Norway spruce (Christmas tree) next to the shack, it does sway in the wind but there's a good length attached to the tree.

Cheers,

Hugh

4. KI6CSJ

KI6CSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Many thanks to all.  You've given me some great ideas of the type I was after.  I don't forsee starting out with a full-blown antenna tower, whether concealed or not.  It's too big of a commitment when getting started.  A temporary pole support for a wire antenna will have to suffice for now.  

Painting the pole is a great way to camouflage it that I had been thinking of.  I hadn't thought of rigging it with tensioners but it makes good sense and won't cost too much, either.

What wire does one use for this that can handle being under tension without creeping, fraying, etc. What is the best UV-resistant insulation to get, or do you use bare wire?

Scaffolding poles as the upright sounds really good to me - stout, modular, corrosion resistant aluminum,...

Any other ideas on this would be greatly appreciated, even if it's just a variation on a theme.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.