Treat myself to an upgraded base rig??

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7TRD, Sep 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Depends on your needs. I have both the 7200 and the 7300 and love them both. The 7300 does have a noticeably better receiver, and the display is much better than the postage stamp sized 7200 orange LCD. OTOH, if you use the rig with a program like HRD all the time, it doesn't much matter. And you can get an inexpensive SRR to provide a bandscope for the 7200.

But if it were me, I'd get the 7300 or--depending on my goals--get a 7610. It has a much better/bigger display and is better in every regard, at least somewhat, than the 7300--it's not just two 7300s in one box.

2. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I once considered putting up a tower but I want to be a good neighbor and I'm having way too much fun with my Hustler 6BTV. It rocks!

NG9F and KK5JY like this.
  3. W7TRD

W7TRD Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, no room for a tower at my place.

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Well then put up whatever better antenna you can.

That's what was implied by "put up that tower first."

The idea is to focus on improving antennas before radios.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    N3AWS, W2AI and W7TRD like this.
  5. N2SUB

N2SUB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got an FT3000. I loved it when I got it, but it had problems with overheating. It does not have an external fan, and air circulation is not adequate. The FT1200 is exactly the same chassis and air flow arrangement, but it has a lot less features and a different receiver than the FT3000. I honestly would not recommend either rig. The FT2000 would be the same vintage as your FT897D. It's old school technology, but that might be what you're looking for. I also have an Icom 7300, which is what I would recommend in the price range you are looking in. Good luck.

6. W7TRD

Yes, Antenna upgrade is next on the "master" plan for the new QTH... Hoping XYL with let me put something on the roof! :p

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    WZ7U, KB2FCV and KC8VWM like this.
  7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're going to treat yourself to a new rig, I guess I gotta ask...

Do you deserve it? :p

NG9F and W7TRD like this.
  8. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed... especially if one is into DXing as the OP indicates he is. I am always striving for something better so I can hear and work more DX. As for me.. I am either going to put up a beam next... or figure out a GOOD fixed wire directional antenna to add that will get me some gain over the pole so I have a better shot at some of the areas in SE Asia that I still need.

KC8VWM likes this.
  9. W7TRD

:(

10. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Uh oh. I've had this rig almost 20 years now. I guess I'm an Icom man.:cool: