Treat myself to an upgraded base rig??

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7TRD, Sep 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7TRD

W7TRD Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello folks!
    I would like to upgrade from my old (14yrs.) FT-897D to a traditional base. Rig works fine, just would like to treat myself to a new rig :D I’m looking at either the Yaesu FTDX1200 or FTDX3000, or possibly a NOS/used FT-2000. Mostly a SSB phone DX chaser.
    Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

N2SUB likes this.
  2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not that familiar with the FTDX3000, but the FT2000 is a very nice radio.

In that price range, though, I'd certainly look at the Kenwood TS590. You could also get into a Flex 6400 for the price of the 3000.

3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Personal preference is hard to judge. To state the obvious, its more about budget - more money = more bells and whistles.

Stand by for the inevitable - improve your antenna - comments

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    K9ASE likes this.
  4. N6RGR

N6RGR Ham Member QRZ Page

I am considering upgrading from my Icom IC-7200 to either a Icom IC-7300, or possibly an Icom IC-7600 or Kenwood TS-590SG. It depends on how much I spend getting my TX-455 tower installed :).

Roger N6RGR

KB2FCV, KC8VWM and K9ASE like this.
  5. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Before you look at a new rig... any improvements you can make to the antennas (especially as you mention being a dx chaser)? I always look their first..

AG3Q likes this.
  6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Yup, put up that tower first.

Any kind of rig can make contacts but not without a good antenna system.

N3AWS and K9ASE like this.
  7. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

If you really are only interested in SSB, then there aren't that many upgrades you can make, radio-wise.

If you like to contest, put a 2k crystal filter in that radio while they are still available.

Antenna, amplifier, better feedline, receive-only antennas -- there are lots of ways you can improve your station for less money than a new radio.

I have to admit, I'm amazed that an 897 stayed working so long. :)

If you really want a new radio, the 7300's are very popular, and the 7200's (its little brother) has most of the same features, just without the panadapter, for quite a bit less cash. I also have a TS-590SG that I really like. It's about as loaded as you can get for the price range.

8. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You don't need a tower or humongous antenna to make a lot of DX contacts. Take a look at my QRZ page

W5TTW, W7TRD and KK5JY like this.
  9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Quite often a ham looking at upgrading will look at a newer model made by the firm who made the rig he currently has. Especially if he has had that rig 14 years! That would indicate that he is happy with that make and model. But another important factor is ergonomics. Each manufacturer tends to stick to a layout and feature access somewhat similar over the years.

When I looked to upgrade last year I went down to HRO with the express intent to sample everyone's current mid and top range base station. After spending some time twiddling the dials or using the touch screens I ended up staying with the same make as my current rig...just got a newer model. Everything with the same make rig just appeared more intuitive.

This just goes to show you how important that first rig purchase is. It will more than likely influence your future purchase.

My last rig before dropping out of ham radio was a TenTec Triton IV. I was very happy with that rig between 1977 and 1996. '96 was the year I dropped out of ham radio due to moving into an antenna unfriendly neighborhood. I sold off all my ham gear at the time. After relicensing in 2016 the first rig to come to mind was a TenTec.....but that was over unless I wanted a used rig. I chose Yaesu for my "new" starter rig....I've upgraded and expanded into portable rigs since then. And they have all been Yaesu. If my "new" starter rig had been Elecraft, Icom, or Kenwood I would most likely have stayed with them for my next rig.

10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed. I have seen many tower installations that are worse for DX than much smaller antenna installations.