Travelling internationally with ham radio equipment

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by G6KVK, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
  1. AJ0IM

    AJ0IM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    This is a very timely thread for me. I will be traveling to Greece in April. I contacted the Greek government and received my authorization letter. I plan to send my antenna and battery with my luggage but carry my 857 and power supply. Does anyone have any info regarding security checks etc at European airports? My itinerary takes me through Paris DeGaulle, then Athens to Rhodes and the same on my return to Denver.



  2. WB2WIK

    WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    I've traveled through international airports all over the place and normally "no problems." However, I do carry such stuff as:

    Copy of my U.S. ham license.
    Copy of the sales receipt for the equipment to prove I bought it here.
    Any "official" paperwork from the communications ministry or whatever the host country has indicating I have authorization to transmit there once I get there.

    I've only been asked for such documentation twice, over about 25 years of visiting all continents. But it could be handy to have.

    Most of the time if they see the radio in the X-ray (all bags are X-rayed) I'm "right there" to answer any questions. The most common answer is, "It's a radio!"
  3. N5AL

    N5AL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Do study the reciprocal operating requirements in each country you will visit. Some countries make it more difficult to operate. Where I live, the permit takes 60 days for approval (i.e., one needs to plan ahead), and visiting hams from some countries may be required to submit a letter of recommendation from a licensed Mexican ham. They also charge about $100 USD to process the reciprocal operating application.
  4. AG6JU

    AG6JU Guest

    you can get into trouble , if you brought your own Hand held, since you don't have Station License for that Hand Held in Japan.

    penalty of having operational station, such as your handheld in ready to operate, is maximum of up to 5 years in Jail, and/or 2.5 million Japanese Yen.

    Those Jail Time and Fine can be less depend on what frequency of station ready to operate, and actual damage caused.

    Japanese FCC have computerized nation wide directional finding system. they can pin point location of transmitter in less than 1 second.
    parts of American Ham Radio band is allocated for Fire, Police, so if you have the American Version of Ham radio , you can get criminally charged for maximum of above sentence/fine.
    Radio Law is very tough, because they had terrorist interfere public safety radio in the passed.

    remember, in Japan, just having Radio Transmitter , which you don't have license is criminal offense.

    my advice, DO NOT BRING ANY RADIO TRANSMITTER to Japan, unless you have prior permission. You can get into trouble at Airport inspection.

    If you have US FCC license, you can operate Any Japanese Ham Radio station as long as host station licensee give you a permission. Licensee of Station must be present with you while guest operate host station in Japan. and you must use host station's equipment.

    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2014
  5. NM9K

    NM9K Ham Member QRZ Page

    Reading this thread makes me so glad to live in the United States. The fact that governments outside of North Korea find radios to be such a threat to their power is shocking and an embarrassment.
  6. AJ0IM

    AJ0IM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Thanks, Steven. I will assemble all the paperwork and be sure to carry it with me. I appreciate the information.

  7. K5HRA

    K5HRA Ham Member QRZ Page

    なるほど OK, I see. That explanation makes the whole station license thing make a whole lot more sense. Thanks. I'll leave it at home instead! :cool: ありがとうございました。
  8. W0MDX

    W0MDX Ham Member QRZ Page


    I just completed a trip taking my go-kit and Buddipole antenna on a domestic flight and had some issues.
    I posted my trip results and tips on my profile if you care to read it, there may be something of value for you.
    Good luck,
  9. W7DKK

    W7DKK Ham Member QRZ Page

    Another question regarding international travel: Is there a source on-line for the UHF/VHF frequencies permitted in all (or most commonly traveled countries); the band plan broken down by grade of license or US equal? Are all countries the same?

    I'm going to the UK and wonder if all my US frequencies are allowed. I have a General license.

    PS: I don't know what is wrong with my signature.
  10. 2E0CMN

    2E0CMN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page

ad: TIDrad-1