ad: elecraft

Traveling & Programming a HT

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB7VCE, Mar 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KB7VCE

KB7VCE Ham Member QRZ Page

I looked around and I saw a lot of discussion about traveling with a HAM radio, but I wanted to get everyone's feedback on this one.

I know traveling with a HT is very easy as it is in my carry-on bag all the time (I fly over 100k miles a year domestically) and I am trying to figure out the best way to handle programming/communications while I am on the road.

I carry a GT-3TP in my briefcase (same config as BF-F8) and wonder what is the best way to go about configuring my radio for travel.

I use CHIRP to program my radio, but short of saving configurations for every city, what is the best way to organize this method AND what is the best idea to configure my radio for calling back to my shack at home in the event of an emergency?

To clarify, 2 scenarios:

Scenario A) Traveling around to places like Detroit, Charlotte, Milwaukee, San Jose (AND more) and chew the rag with other hams out there.

Scenario B) A real SHTF scenario. Cell phones and internet doesn't work, so I need to figure out the best way to get a message back home to my wife and family. I have a shack setup at home and can configure those emergency bands on the radio and be able to radio back via a net or WINSystem or something of that nature.

73s!
    Stephen

2. K3YGX

K3YGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Carry a repeater directory and learn how to program the radio manually.

NK2U likes this.
  3. KB7VCE

KB7VCE Ham Member QRZ Page

That works for scenario A (kind of) as my fingers will get sore programming and trying to find out which repeater is well used to talk on... The benefits of computers now is that I can have a config for a city, load it up and hit scan on the radio to be able to jump on and chew the rag for the night.

The vital piece is Scenario B. Any suggestions on that? Programming the radio manually in that scenario makes sense with the book, but what is the best option(s) for systems that can cover the distance to get back home regardless of my location.

Thanks!

4. WH6LU

WH6LU Ham Member QRZ Page

Call out on 146.520

5. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The situation and desires as stated have too many incongruities to offer valid ideas other than yes carry a repeater directory, listen to see where the action is, and if the cell phones and Internet are out, you won't have a "net" to attach to to call out. If the repeater out of town has Echolink by radio path then you might be able to enable a rig in your house on Echolink to connect to and chat with your family in a real emergency.

Also remember cell towers may be blocking calls, but a text message might still get through.

GSCTTF

6. K7XRL

K7XRL Ham Member QRZ Page

I use CHIRP to program my radios. If you have a subscription to one of several sites that compile and store repeater frequency data, CHIRP can download the data directly from your subscribed site, and flash your radio memory.

Depending on the site you use, the data will be more or less accurate. I am not sure about the forum rules for posting about external sites so I won't name names, but you can see the options within CHIRP.

Just bring a computer with several memory images for the areas you will travel loaded up beforehand, and flash as needed. Only takes a minute or two.

7. W2CYK

W2CYK Ham Member QRZ Page

RT Systems and RFinder is your solution...programs your radio over a route!