Transworld TW2010 while camping

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by NE7SS, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. NE7SS

NE7SS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm thinking about a Transworld 2010 mounted on the roof of our motorhome for use while camping. Anyone have experience with this type of setup?

Jeff
    NE7SS

2. K7OFG

K7OFG Ham Member QRZ Page

No experience with it but after reading the write ups and reviews it sounds like a really good antenna for portable use in it's specified bands. A bit pricy for me but something to keep in mind if I ever come into some extra money. Thanks for mentioning it so I can put it on my wish list.
    Good luck.
    Steve.

3. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like a small vertical beam?

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Naw it's a vertical dipole. It does utilize the idea of shortening the physical size of the antenna with capacity hats.

Not a bad thing because the antenna remains quite efficient despite its shorter size.

Of course the main advantages are a low radiation angle on the horizon without requiring you to elevate the antenna a great deal of height above ground and best of all and unlike other verticals, this one truely doesn't require any radials.

I think this is one of the few portable antenna designs that is a winner in terms of effectively achieving portability, and performance efficiency.

5. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Take a look at N6BT.com. Tom is the original designer of the Transworld. I have his Bravo 5 that I operate from my home QTH. It allot less $ and seems to put out a signal. The only negative is the lead time and and Tom can be hard to get in touch with. Maybe things have improved. I can recommend his antenna. I use underground sprinkler cable as a control line and a piece of water pipe to hold the antenna up.

6. N3JS

N3JS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an N6BT Bravo 7 - somewhat similar design to the Transworld, but looks like an upside-down "Y" instead of a sideways "H". It's a asymmetrical vertical dipole, or a ground plane, depending on who you ask. Covers 40-10, full-sized on 20 and up, coil loaded on 30 & 40. Comes with a simple but effective tripod. It will fit in a large golf bag or duffel bag, and takes about 10 minutes to put up, so you could just deploy in on the ground near your RV, instead of attaching it to the roof. Manual band change, takes a nut driver and 5 minutes to change bands. Simple, sturdy, far less expensive than the TW.

I've found mine to be very effective indeed, but I use it to operate at the edge of the ocean - I can't speak for how well it performs away from salt water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.