Transmitter power output during PSK31, RTTY-45?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KE0KDQ, Sep 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. KC3GSV

KC3GSV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good advice. I set up my 7200 the same way.

W4NNF likes this.
  2. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

For proper linearity, set the power out put adjustment to 100 watts then adjust the audio level from the computer/ sound card etc. such that the output is about 35 watts. This keeps the finals from over heating and keeps the signal clean. (Linear, ie. distortion free.) A better way is to watch the ALC meter and not run the audio so that any ALC shows on the meter. There are two things to do here. 1) Keep the signal clean and, 2) Keep the power at about 1/2 - 1/3 of maximum to keep from destroying the final out put transistors.
    Rob

3. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Just curious, why would running 100 watts PSK destroy the final output transistors in a final that is rated 100 watts for RTTY, like most of the ICOM transceivers.

4. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, sometimes it's the driver stage, IF the mounting screws are not torqued/have loosened over time AND with thermal cycling (like a lot of use) ... this happened in my Pro2. Lost the both the 2SC19xx TO220 package driver devices. Screws were *not* tight. I have taken steps now to assure that the hardware in these power stages is tight. Every few years take covers off radio and check/tighten the mounting screws.

5. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

" Just curious, why would running 100 watts PSK destroy the final output transistors in a final that is rated 100 watts for RTTY, like most of the ICOM transceivers. "

It will not hurt them. There are a lot of people that post wives tales and bad info on these posts as well as the low power pundits.. There is no reason to run 25 or 35 only - if you need more power
    to make a contact , use it. I use up to a few hundred watts if needed with an external amp ( watch the duty cycle there too ) . As you stated - follow manufacturers guidelines for RTTY.

Also, the advice not to use filters is 100% incorrect. Use your filters, IF bandwidth and shift to optimize signals and minimize interference with the station you are interested in.

6. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Cecil,
    The last rig I had rated 100W key down was my old Kenwood TS 440s and that was for 1/2 hour with a similar cool down time. If the newer rigs are that rugged I'm not aware of it.
    Rob

7. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

" If the newer rigs are that rugged I'm not aware of it. "

Yes, they can be. As he stated the ICOMs will coast at high power. Use the RTTY guidelines for your particular rig.

And of course - your ALC settings per manufacturer. My FTdx-3000 will put out 100W digital with no ALC reading when properly adjusted.