Transmitted From Commercial Aircraft?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WX1FLY, Jun 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone had their Wheaties peed in today or what?

With all the pissing and moaning in this thread, its understandable some might miss the mark.

WA1GXC and K0UO like this.
  2. W7IMM

W7IMM Ham Member QRZ Page

This is hilarious to say the least, that anyone could possibly interpret this reg to mean ANYthing other than aircraft radios operating on aircraft specific frequencies.

But, you’re certainly entitled to your opinion.

And the last word too! Go for it!

WA9SVD likes this.
  3. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom kindly supplied me with a headphone interface that works a treat on their airband and ham rigs :cool: If you just talk on an HT, you get replies like "Sounds like someone is transmitting engine noise" :rolleyes:

4. N3HGB

In theory then Jacksonville ATC sending the latest score in a Jaguars game when they had a spare moment was some kind of crime :rolleyes: Also probably all my requests to get some pizza ordered when I was 20 minutes out.

K0UO likes this.
  5. W7IMM

W7IMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, we used to ask ATC all the time for the score of some game. That was for the most part "ok" if it was an enroute ARTCC frequency and they weren't busy.

No one in their right mind would do it on a busy approach or tower freq.

I seem to remember that 10 or 15 years ago, an ATC controller telling someone that they weren't allowed to do it anymore......Someone got spanked by the Anti-fun cops or something.

Many of us would then send an ACARS message to company Dispatch asking for the Seahawks score or something. They put the kybosch on that too eventually......

It's not really a factor anymore though. Just about all major airlines have internet in the back so no one asks any more...

I have an ICOM IC-W2A I bought new about 20 years ago and it's pretty much worthless in an airplane or any other high noise environment without some sort of noise cancelling microphone!

Hey, Is that an IC-M802 in your sail boat?

6. N3HGB

No Icom HF gear. I had a TS-440 and now a TS-450 :)

7. KG5RBF

KG5RBF Ham Member QRZ Page

Not all of us....but there is always a few at every airline.

WZ7U likes this.