Transmitted From Commercial Aircraft?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WX1FLY, Jun 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

"Yes, but her transmitter is a mess!"

W2AI and K0UO like this.
  2. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems that airline captains, and others in high skill high IQ professions, rarely suffer fools gladly.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yet they keep coming back and posting here. :D

K0UO likes this.
  4. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

All the bowling alleys are closed. How's a guy with no interpersonal skills supposed to keep busy?

5. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

FT-8 ?

AD5HR, K5ABB, AJ4GQ and 1 other person like this.
  6. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

I never have operated in flight, however, I have flown on a Boeing 747 where the Pilot in Command is a ham. We met at breakfast the next morning and chatted ham radio stuff.

7. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

And they continue to bring a dull pocket knife to a gunfight.

WA1GXC likes this.
  8. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The FCC, in the amateur regs, doesn't control what pilots can and can't do in the cockpit flying the plane, we all agree, right? The FAA and airlines take care of that.
    So I'm trying to figure out why the FCC would tell us hams not to use the airplane radio gear to do some hamming. Here's my dumb example (not being a pilot):
    Private pilot in his Cessna decides to check out the dx range of 2 meters using the aircraft radio. He tunes to 146.94 to listen for IDs from 200 miles away. Hits the PTT, the radio goes dead (blew the finals-hi swr on 2 meter band). Or keys the PTT and something in the navigational equipment fails because it is not filtered for 146 mhz, and the plane is unable to function. FCC wants to point to their rules and say "Not our fault, we don't allow our licensees to use that radio."

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Who cares about her transmitter?:confused::p:rolleyes:

10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry a
    Private Pilot with a typical set of NavCom radios would not be able to use them on 2 meter FM. Those radios are all AM and the highest frequency is in the 136 to 138 mHz range on most Navcoms.

AG6QR likes this.