Transmitted From Commercial Aircraft?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WX1FLY, Jun 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have tried to work aero mobile stations before. The last one was a German born commercial multi engine pilot flying up the East Coast before heading over the Atlantic, he was pretty strong signal for some time using the aircraft HF rig. Not sure what the RF power out of a HF rig on 757's is but would like to find out.

2. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Affirmative, with a slight qualification. It is not "law", it is Federal regulation. They are operating in contravention of both FCC
    and FAA regulations, including the catch-all violation for egregious bad judgement, irresponsibility, and just plain stupidity, Federal
    Aviation Regulation 14 CFR 91.17 captioned "Careless or Reckless Operation."

FCC regulations prohibit the ship's or aircraft's integral communications equipment from being utilized in the Amateur Radio Service.
    Period. It's unequivocal. 47 CFR 97.11 (b).

I reiterate here, "Every profession has its own dimwits." There are bad and uninformed doctors, lawyers,
    politicians, barbers, judges, and book editors. The law holds professionals in safety-of-life critical fields --Ship Masters, airline Captains,
    medical doctors, to the legal standard of " highest degree of care". A FAA Air Safety Inspector who observed such a dim flight crewmember
    engaging in this activity in-flight would have no choice but to initiate a formal notice of "pilot deviation" with the airline's FAA Certificate
    Management Office and its Principal Operations Inspector; Time-off without pay and airman certificate suspension for 15 or 30 days would be a
    likely sanction.

So to recap, Yes, the pilot you worked on SSB was knowingly or unknowingly (both possibilities troubling) breaking Federal rules and his
    or her airline's prohibition against non-essential cockpit activities, which 5 bucks says appears in every US air-carrier's FAA accepted Flight Operations Manual.

Let's do a little thought experiment: You're laid-out on the stainless-steel table in the O.R. after a 3-1/2 hour quadruple-bypass procedure on your heart. You're
    still under deep anesthesia and on the heart-lung profusion machine. The cardio-thoracic surgeon just finished-up with the tough stuff, and turns the procedure
    over to the Surgeon-Fellow in-training, and says, " Finish up, and you can close. I'm a little bored, and I need to take a call from my stockbroker. I'll be in the break room if you need me. back in 10."
    You cool with that?

Q-R-ZED THE FREQUENCY -K SOMEONE PLEASE

Me! Me! Answer Me! A/M !!!! How cool is that!!!!!!

Me, I don't enjoy working fools.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    PU2OZT likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hey - at least I got the QSL cards :)

Dave
    W7UUU

WA1GXC likes this.
  4. WA1GXC

FB seriously. It's totally on him, not on you.

W7UUU likes this.
  5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Pilots, yes. Passengers, HIGHLY unlikely. Possibly illegal as well. (And the question again, is WHY:confused:? What is so gosh darn important that it can't wait?)

PU2OZT likes this.
  6. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Captain.

WX1FLY likes this.
  7. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have HF VHF and UHF in two different aircraft. Still a lot of regulations involved.
    I especially like working HF air mobile.
    I use a 23 foot wire previously the old NDB/ADF wire with an auto tuner, run from the cabin to the tail. VHF UHF I use antenna is in the belly of the aircraft. Are bent at a 45 which allows me to work FM or SSB

KA9JLM and WX1FLY like this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A friend of mine does exactly that.

Sweet...

K0UO likes this.
  9. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I love working aero mobile stations.... So far I got to contact 2 on HF..... Fed EX flight to somewhere in South America was over the Gulf of Mexico having left Memphis. Second one was a Delta flight over Minnesota . Both were great to work. It's not as rare as island out in Nowheresville but definitely not near as common as most would think.
    Since most flights always have two pilots. I wouldn't think it was an issue to have one on air while other is in flight. As far as the radio goes, they use dual channel radios so two different frequencies can be monitored or used.
    Here is one as an example.
    The Fed Ex pilot I spoke to said they were using Rockwell radios on their aircraft.
    This is a Rhode and Schwarzt
    [​IMG]

You can see the VHF HF left and right selectors,very simple to operate . No distractions trying to tune or guess which frequency you are operating on.

10. WA1GXC

Beautiful P-Mixmaster, General!

Curious, two questions:
    What does a zero-timed IO-360 overhaul go for now? 15k? More?
    Did you install the HF gear yourself and have an A & P effect the Form 337 installation paperwork? Do any avionics shops in G A
    even know how to install HF/antennas?

K0UO likes this.