Transmitted From Commercial Aircraft?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WX1FLY, Jun 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WX1FLY

WX1FLY Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm wondering if anyone has actually tried operating/transmitting from a commercial airline flight.

2. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would you?

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

First rule:
    1. You must have permission from the Captain.
    2. Fail.

Sorry it is just not going to happen. The primary obstacle to overcome is the possibility your transmissions may interfere with the avionics and navigation. No airline or captain is going to risk the lives of hundreds of passengers on this.

:)

K0UO, NL7W and K9ASE like this.
  4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Commercial airlines frown on that for obvious reasons.

K0UO likes this.
  5. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I have worked many pilots on HF while they are cruising at altitude, aeronautical mobile is pretty common.

KC0KEK, W7EDC, K9ASE and 3 others like this.
  6. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

You may find the pilot playing ham on the HF or with an HT, but no commercial pilot is going to let passengers play radio with their own equipment unless they are doing something like a VFR sightseeing flight or hot air balloon ride. All large passenger jets fly IFR at all times, so there is no radio playtime for passengers whatsoever.
    Besides for that, the cockpit windows in a jet have fine wires in them for the heaters and are pretty much RF proof. The only practical hamming going on is going to be with the HF gear that is installed in the airplane.

7. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

The OP is a pilot, I'm sure he knew the answer before hand.

K0UO, W7EDC and WX1FLY like this.
  8. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

ive worked a few that were flying private planes... I think pulling out your bao feng from the middle seat on a Southwest flight is a little different :)

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have using a HT. Talked about 200 miles using 5 watts.

Cool stuff.

Yes I did get permission from the Captain. SW airline, in 1990 or so.

K9ASE and WX1FLY like this.
  10. WX1FLY

WX1FLY Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm a new HAM and this came up in a class I was taking at the time. I am a Captain for AA. No one has ever asked me if they could use a radio and I haven't tried it myself. A cursory look at the rule book didn't show any specific prohibitions that I could find so far anyway. I was curious what some of you had to say about it.

KC0KEK, W0AQ, KI5WW and 4 others like this.