Transmit Issues? "Is there anybody out there?"

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W4DSG, Jul 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W4DSG

W4DSG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am a new operator (General) and have an older Kenwood TS 570SG that I've recently bought. I have so many questions, but this is my latest. I seem to be able to receive very well, but transmission is a problem. Sometimes I wonder if I'm even being heard. When I first got the unit I contacted quite a few stations, but as I've continued to use it I've reached fewer and fewer. I'm using a EFHW at 66 ft about 30 feet off the ground, sloping to my home. I use the same antenna on a Yaesu FT 891 and seem to get out pretty well. I know this could probably be 1000 things, but I would appreciate any input.

It appears that looking for an Elmer during a pandemic is a pretty difficult task.

Thanks

Scott
    W4DSG

2. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Scott:

What modes are you using: SSB, CW, FT8? What TX power levels are you running? What is the indicated SWR into the antenna on TX? What brand and model of EFHW ae you using? What type of feedline are you using and how long is it? What is the indicated ALC level of the rig on transmit.

You may have to dive into the Kenwood TS-570SG manual to figure out how to read ALC and SWR from the meter, but it will be a worthwhile read.

Answering these questions can really help with forum support for your issues.

Brian - K6BRN