Transformer Rewinding Service

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W5INC, Dec 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5INC

W5INC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Gary up yonder in Maine has sold TRS to another person. It will be until April till the new owner is ready to accept new work. Any other transformer re-builders out there? I hae a HV filter Xformer crated up ready to go and was going to ship today. But since I seen the TRS website, sure doesn't look like the thing to do. Hyperboyle (?) up in the North there, does have some mixed reviews and has been sold to a new owner in the last year I believe. I guess Xformer rebuilding business is going in the same direction has the automobile radiator repair shop. Any suggestions from the group here to who does rebuild boat anchor transformers these days?

I am happy to inform everyone that TRS has been sold. It will take a few months for the transition and the new owner will be able to take on work, April of 2019. Please be patient and Mark, the new owner, will be able to continue this most needed service.
    His name is Mark Walker
    Mark can be contacted at......

blueglow.net

I will always be available to answer any questions for Mark if he does run into any problems. Mark has a good background and will continue to give customers a good service.
    Regards,
    Gary

http://members.tripod.com/tubes_tubes_tubes/transformerrewindingservice/index.html

2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

:) Heyboer. I used them several times in the distant past and they were always good to me. Not so much to my pocketbook. :eek: It would be a bad thing if we were to lose them as an option.
    What kind of xfmr are you wanting to re-do? "HV filter Xformer" doesn't compute.

3. W5INC

It is the rascal in the bottom right corner of this picture Mr. Bill. This is a problem area with these old rigs, along with a HV rectifier filament voltage Xformer T502.

COLLINS KWS-1 HV CHOKE L-501 8 HY @ 0.5A DC TUNED CHOKE WITH 0.15 MFD
    CORE) A-0274/ C-CORE STYLE #) 09 HIPERSIL C-CORE
    PR) 8.0 HY @ 0.5A DC (4000 WVDC 55 OHMS DC)
    DM) HT = 7.344 WT = 5.844 DT = 4.688 MD = 3.625 MW = 4.250 WEIGHT) 21 LBS

upload_2018-12-30_10-18-53.png

collins_KWS1_HV_filter.jpg

4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A choke could certainly be less expensive to rewind.
    If you totally bomb out you might try getting in touch with Hammond to see if they have anything available that would be suitable.
    Custom-made = rewinding in some cases. One of the xfmrs I got from Heyboer was totally new, they didn't bother with rebuilding the old one. With better core materials, etc that's often a better solution.
    Good luck!

5. N6UH

N6UH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an 8 Henry 500ma choke at 4kv/55 ohms from a Henry 2k I've just completely rebuilt the plate supply on. As far as I'm aware it still works. It's a different shape and mounting no doubt but if you're stuck it'll do the job maybe until you can find a more permanent solution for the original? If you want to try it just pay the shipping from 33462. It'll probably go in a large flat-rate box but I need to check. If the original is potted in bitumen why not have a go at rewinding it yourself with modern insulation?

WQ4G and KP4SX like this.
  6. W5INC

THANK YOU Mr. Ian for the very generous offer! A true AR OP. I glanced over at your rebuilding thread for your Henry amp and your transformer building endeavor sure looked good. I was hoping to sub contract out this Xformers rebuilding endeavor, but as you know everything is subject to change. I will check to see if a local Xformer company can inject 1 of the new types of potting compounds into a Xformer I have rebuilt. The original 1 sure looks like it is mighty dry when peeling back the outer covering and the seam of the outer covering, is right where a mounting bolt resides, which isn't a good thing. I will keep your very generous offer in mind. I will find out this week if any local company is willing to do the potting compound work, once the HV filter is rewound. THANK YOU again, Mr. Ian!

DSCN0555[1].JPG

7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Heyboer Transformers is located in Grand Haven, Michigan (Lake Michigan, eastern shore).
    It is a small shop (~10 employees) and Alden Arendsen is owner / sales engineer.
    https://www.heyboertransformers.com

Heyboer created a “new” transformer on a couple of occasions for my projects.
    When Alden assesses the old transformer, he determines approach (rewind or build new) for each project. IF the transformer is unknown and dead (open windings), THEN they may have to unwind (count windings) to determine its correct specifications.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  8. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Mercury Magnetics in Chatsworth California?

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Rewind it yourself. It's easy/fast and far cheaper than paying someone to do it (and shipping heavy iron back and forth). I rewound a HV > LV 500VA xfmr that's been running continuously for a coupla decades. More recently, I rewound a LV > HV 4KVA xfmr. I spent about $140 on wire + insulation "paper".

AF7XT, N2EY and N6UH like this.
  10. N6UH

N6UH Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the biggest issues for me when deciding what to do with the Henry Plate transformer was the cost of shipping, That's double in the case of a rewind unless you happen to live close to the company. For example Hammond wanted $1060 plus $65 to pack and ship their "replacement". That was for a transformer which was not in a can, had the connections on the top, had a higher secondary voltage and ,when I checked the dimensions, wouldn't fit in the place occupied by the original. Not really a replacement at all.
    I'm currently rewinding the oi filled plate transformer out of a Hallicrafters HT-45 which had a dodgy secondary which is proving interesting. My winding rig is getting a motorised upgrade as hand winding 6500 odd turns in 40 layers doesn't really appeal to me!

W9GB and WA7PRC like this.