Transferring Ham Plates - CA DMV

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by WM6I, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WM6I

    WM6I Ham Member QRZ Page

    Conversation with my mechanic about my ham-mobile:

    Mechanic: "We cannot find anything wrong. The codes came back as a blah blah blah seized open. It is OK now, but we cannot duplicate it."
    Me: "So what's the chances of this happening again?"
    Mechanic: "50/50"
    Me: "And how much is it going to run me if it happen again?"
    Mechanic: "$4,000"
    Me: "May be time to trade it in."
    Mechanic: "That might be a good idea."

    So, anyone from California have experience with transferring Ham Radio plates from a trade-in car to a new car? I'm sure I cannot work a deal then go out to the dealership parking lot and move the plates from one car to the next.
  2. WA6MHZ

    WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    I have done it many many times! I have blue plates from the 70s on my Town Car and they have gone through many many cars. If the dealership is even halfway competent, they can do it. They should do it for U, U shouldn't have to go to the DMV. That is what they are getting PAID to do!
  3. W3MMM

    W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

    Agreed. The times I've done this, the dealer actually moves the plates while you're in signing papers to transfer title and buy the 20 year under-body rust protection insurance. The cost of any DMV fees is built into your transaction (separate line items) and they take care of the paperwork.

    You drive away in the new car with the old plates affixed.
  4. WM6I

    WM6I Ham Member QRZ Page

    Thanks Everyone,

    Easier than I thought.
  5. K0RGR

    K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    You don't need the underbody rust protection in California, either. But if they have a super duper drivetrain warranty, it might be a good idea.
  6. KJ4VTH

    KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

    Forget the drivetrain warranty, you need the 'blah blah blah seized open' warranty!
  7. KD8RWR

    KD8RWR Ham Member QRZ Page

    I'm a ASE Master Auto Tech. What kind of Car, is it?
  8. KJ4VTH

    KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

    as this point I think it's called a "trade-in"
  9. WX7P

    WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

    Me, me! I know this one!

    It's really easy, but you'll probably have to talk to a supervisor because the line grunts don't deal much with ham plates.

    The problem with CA ham plates is the way their system is programmed.

    Show up with your license, and your plates. Make sure you have both of them.

    What will probably happen is the clerk will punch in the call and it will come back invalid.

    Tell the clerk to input WM6_I, the space is their cue it's a ham plate. Always after the "6".

    As long as they were properly removed from the previous vehicle, you'll have no problem.

    I transferred one call plate from 3 cars to others without an issue out there because I knew their procedure.

    I'm in Illinois, now, but that ain't going to be forever.

    Good luck with that, you'll get it done.
  10. W7XF

    W7XF Ham Member QRZ Page

    I have yet to have a problem transferring ham plates when I get another vehicle. Since AZ went to the plates stay with owner system for everyone, it was made easier for the dealers to do! Just pay the $25 to move them/pay yearly fee for the plate, and voila! No visit to the long lines of DMV!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page

ad: M2Ant-1