Transcontinental 2M Simplex Relay...

Discussion in 'SKED - QSO Scheduling' started by KI4CLZ, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That would be a fun thing to try!! I'm in the Seattle area and maybe could help START the effort,
    but that's about all I could do. It's the "middle of the USA/North American Continent" that I see as
    the stumbling block on this.

But I'd sure be willing to give it a go....

Dave
    WB7AWK

2. KK4AXX

KK4AXX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm game as well. Further, I recommend this become a regular Sunday attempt at least until the first completion. I'm in south Alabama, just outside of Mobile.

3. N5NNS

N5NNS Ham Member QRZ Page

Great idea! We live on a mountain, 2,800 feet up open pretty much to the W/S/E. I certainly will give it a try next Sunday night!
    73 de George
    N5NNS

4. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Put more challenge to the process. Have the starting station send a specific worded message.
    This harkings back to the days of yore where the spark gap operators would send a message coast to coast on 200 meters. Their equipment was crude at best by today's standards but it worked.
    At the end station have that station get a link (internet, phone, HF) and have the worded message compared to what it originally started out as.
    Don't resort to weak signal methods and digital modes just plain ole FM the entire distance. This increases the difficulty factor by quite a bit.
    What you're doing is repeating what was done over 100 years ago. That's why it's called the American Radio Relay League.
    Your advantage is also your disadvantage. You get to send the message by voice. The ole sparky's had to use CW. Which was harder to mix the message up but still possible.
    There are some expanses that'll be rough to cover just like it was long ago. The capability to get from the east coast to the Mississippi River valley was easily done. From there it got really difficult.
    Sounds like something fun to do for 2 meter FM.
    Good luck with the attempt
    Gary

5. W4FJT

W4FJT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No joy from Knoxville, Tn. I've made Chattanooga on Simplex, so I was hoping maybe for Huntsville. Tried for 30 minutes last night and no luck. We are on a ridge at 1240 feet, and hit a lot of the distant repeaters such as Asheville, NC on a regular basis. Just a simple Arrow J-pole on the porch roof. Probably would need a beam pointed your way. I'm going to look into that, and I think the SSB is worth a try as well.

73, Jim

6. N3JPW

N3JPW Ham Member QRZ Page

I called CQ from Newark, DE for 30 minutes and heard no replies or traffic. Cool idea though!

Mark
    N3JPW

7. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd be willing to give it a shot I can pick it up from Chicago to Plymouth Indiana (about half way across the state)

8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I have a use for this 8 element 2 meter yagi I've never used, now. :)P

9. KF4KQS

KF4KQS Ham Member QRZ Page

ill give it a try from Cartersville, GA! EM74. will be cool to see if i can hear anything.

10. K6MFW

K6MFW Ham Member QRZ Page

This seems to be a nutty concept but then many technical innovations began as nutty projects. Most never go anyplace and much becomes a real mess. Well folks, this is how progress is made. My bad is I forgot all about this last night. My question is do we relay callsigns? Is this like some kind of mega NTS? How about meteor scatter? What if we float a balloon with a 2m repeater output on 146.580 at 100,000 feet? Start it late Sunday afternoon in California similar to that guy who services swimming pools.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.