Transceivers with best Noise Reduction ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5ZZ, Feb 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W5ZZ

W5ZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello friends.
    Sorry if this was discussed here before.
    IMHO that in the modern band environment ability of noise reduction is become more important then dynamic range of the ham radio transceivers.
    Recently I watched an Yaesu FTDX-101 video on YouTube with DNR demonstration, that was very impressive , or it was just a "right'" noise at the right time moment ?
    What do You think guys ?
    Thanks and 73!

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It always depends on the kind of noise.

You can't suppress atmospheric noise, which is supposed to be there, very well -- and there's really no reason to.

Suppressing other noise sources is quite a trick.

The best noise blanker I have here is the NB-7 in my 1978-vintage Drake TR-7. It can take many noise sources from "S9" down to "nothing" by pressing one button. That's 42 year-old technology and it's not DSP.:p

Pays to try stuff.

N3AWS, KI5WW, KI7TGX and 1 other person like this.
  3. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have no doubt the NR in the FTdx101 is superb. The NR in my FTdx3000 is the best I have experienced in nearly 50 years of hamming. It’s what sold me on the rig after trying out several. The noise blanker is good too; but like Steve said, none of them really remove ALL atmospheric noise and they’re not supposed to. And you can still encounter noise sources that nothing seems to get rid of. But between the DNR in the Yaesu and using a separate receive loop antenna, I can get rid of 99% of what noise shows up.

W5ZZ likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sometimes just a really good external filter can work wonders as well...

Watch the following very short video - it's CW but trust me you do NOT need to copy Morse to see the effect the filter has on my noise

Dave
    W7UUU

[Golly I miss that shack sometimes]

PU2OZT, KA0HCP, WZ7U and 2 others like this.
  5. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

Couldn’t afford a CW filter for that radio, eh. :D

6. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

SDR Console or SDR# have amazing noise reduction.

Ed

AJ4GQ likes this.
  7. PY2RAF

PY2RAF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Pro-tip for Yaesu transceivers

If the audio sounds waterish/bubblish; conter-act by removing a bit of the RF gain and using Slow AGC.

For what is worth: 891, 991, 991a, 101d/mp and 10 all share exactly the same DSP processor; all sporting the same DNR capability and performance.

N1VAU, ND6M, W7FAN and 4 others like this.
  8. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

Totally. That Timewave demo radio needs a narrow IF filter, which for CW does more than anything for noise. Good IF filtering rejects noise and signals that are outside of the frequencies you want to hear. CW is a single frequency, so the narrower the filter the better, until it gets so narrow that it interferes with hearing the on/and off of the dits and dahs, which does require some bandwidth to hear. You can stack an audio peaking filter on top of that which simply reduces the width further. The most recent and best radios stack IF xtal filters and IF DSP filters. I have a FTDX101MP which I got about a month ago. When I compare very good old tech analog radios to the new tech very good DSP radios on CW, I don't find a significant difference. There is a difference on SSB. , which requires 2000 +/- Hz of bandwidth for intelligibility. Excellent xtal filters are the foundation and DSP filtering on top of that, either at IF or audio can significantly improve SSB intelligibility. Pure DSP radios can be really very good, but I don't think they're quite there yet with respect to noise/interference generated in the radio from large out of band signals. This is a whole nother thing.

KA0HCP likes this.
  9. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

I first heard that recommendation for Elecraft K3 radios. As I understand it, it's basically out of pass-band sigs getting into the AGC loop causing rapid variations in gain. Good xtal filters can really help. The 1.2kHz option for the FTDX101 is just weird. A nice wide band CW filter but SSB?

10. PY2RAF

PY2RAF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Try your VC-Tune + CW 300 Hz filter - that's the finest feature that your transceiver has to offer.

Nyet. You are actually capping the AGC circuit to a lower amplification, and avoiding the DSP (which runs the DNR show) processing the band noise floor's noise - and generating the weird audio artifacts.

This is to be used in 'emergency only' to defend from a nearby strong offending signal attacking your AGC, passband and screwing your DX/weak signal. Use it with -600 in shift and can be a QSO saver.