ad: Schulman-1

Transceiver you wished you did not purchase

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8FVJ, Jul 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
  1. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some of us old timers have real junk boxes.... filters, parts, chassis's, etc.

K5YDD, KM1H, KP4SX and 1 other person like this.
  2. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

You never noticed the blowby on the '920? You may not have if you left the DSP on all the time. Shut it off and the blowby on the '920 was the worst of any radio I owned. I upfitted mine with Inrad filters and the filter switch board to no avail. Finally sold it and bought the K3 in 2010. My '920 though bought new in May 2000 had a '97 build date, so later production lots may have had some improvement. I probably should have returned it for being a three year old radio at the time of purchase, but...

First thing I wish I'd not bought was the Heathkit SW-717 receiver. No reasonable CW/SSB capability whatsoever.

Second was the Heathkit HW-5400. Deaf as a stump above 20m and not very good on that band as well.

Third was the aforementioned FT-920 though I kept it for over a decade and attempted to improve it.

If nothing else, having owned some lousy equipment makes one appreciate the good stuff.

3. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Fourth was the Kenwood TM-V7A dual bander. Pretty cool blue dot matrix display that would blind you at night and then be unreadable in the daylight after being set for night time viewing. Changing the display setting was a multi-menu step that was inconvenient at best. I got a lot of unsolicited reports of very tinny audio. May have been the microphone, but never tried another.

Fifth I'll list the HR-2600. It wasn't really all that bad as I made a lot of Qs with it in the mid '90s. It could have been better done with some thought toward the IF filtering as the use of one filter wide enough for FM meant that SSB and CW were aligned fairly deep in one side of its skirts which attenuated the signals considerably and still left the IF wide open to QRM from the other side. It was a fun radio within its limitations.

4. KE8GME

KE8GME Ham Member QRZ Page

I dont see any bad reports on the icom 7100?

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's had a few issues. Mainly one with audio when the AF gain is high; the rig can apparently reset itself in that condition (which can be avoided with an external speaker), and some problems with very low temperatures in a mobile environment. If I had need for a mobile HF rig--I'm retired now and don't drive enough to warrant that--however, I'd have no hesitation buying the 7100.

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The WE here has multiple DXCC and all from within the 1950's DXCC distance requirements.

No lists or other lid ways of working DX. No remotes, no other crap to dilute the thrill of the original DXCC chase.

Included is QRP 5W 9BDXCC all on CW of course, Im over 250 on some bands. Another on 80 CW with a PP 211 breadboard late 1920's style and a modified Radiola 60 plus period correct converter, took 2 1/2 years to get all the cards.

I was Honor Roll at one time on CW, Phone and Mixed. Still chase them on all HF bands when I have the time, no more lost sleep, with modern gear and 1200W, just dont apply any more to ARRL. Life is too short to waste time in a pileup if I dont have to. Waiting for 10 to come back so I can finish it on AM with the Valiant and NC-300.

Pushing 200 on 6M also with a collection of vintage gear; TS-830 for the 10M IF, modified Hallicrafters HA-6, and the converted National NCL-2000 prototype Ive had since 64.

Also have 8B WAZ, missing one on 160.

All my antennas are monoband home brew or highly modified commercial ones, or mostly just aluminum pieces from hamfests or broken ones I took down for others: yagis from 40 thru 70 cm, DEM loopers above that. Horizontal and vertical wires with elevated radials for 80 and 160.

Feedlines are all surplus CATV cable from RG-11 to 1" hardline.

The 4 towers on a 5 acre hilltop help:D I take my radio as seriously as you do your guns....I have a few also along with awards since high school when rifle teams were common.

Carl

W1BR likes this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Carl, you are awesome, dude!

8. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

That's impressive and certainly worth being proud of.