Transceiver you wished you did not purchase

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8FVJ, Jul 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Wish that was true. Where I work we also have 6500's and the same issues.

For me, if a radio or anything doesn't work as advertised or expected, then it's worthless.

VK6APZ, WD4ELG, KE9EX and 2 others like this.
  2. KI4WCA

KI4WCA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been happy with all of the gear I have bought and am very happy
    I have a IC-7410 with all the filters...just fantastic.

Now I recently got a 2m HT from Icom...great loud audio, powerful 7watts RF,
    great transmit audio...and a front end that caves when used in a strong signal
    environment or with an external antenna. IC-V86...not recommended.
    My IC-T70A blows it away in receive performance...and is a superhet.
    The V86 is direct conversion. It is fine as a toy but is super poor as a no power
    back up on the external antenna. Lame.

3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Ic-706 Mk II G...
    Hate the menu navigation.
    It all works FB. Full pwr output. Have both narrow CW filters for it.
    Clean rig. For Sale. Come buy it...

4. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W4IOA likes this.
  5. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Right there with ya, ditto. I have the 7300 now, sold the 5000...no regrets.

K1OIK likes this.
  6. WO1X

WO1X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Icom-745 with optional CW filters and nearly every option they had. I was a new ham with a Novice ticket afraid of my own shadow. I heard all the horror stories about blown finals with high SWR so I was sssooo incredibly careful with my Antenna Tuner. What a load - blown caps had to be replaced twice, very aggravating. I finally sold it to a more experienced guy who could change them himself saving pasetas. I wound up with a Yaesu FT-757 (not the GXII) and earned my basic DXCC on old Betsy! I still have that rig and upgraded to a FTDX-3000 in 2014.

7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, quite the opposite from my experience with the 745. Mine had a hard life bouncing around between the islands for 20+ years and my kid doing most of the operating. He and some other guys won their category in CQ-WW with that little rig.. It was a true workhorse. And that's with the internal PS which was so convenient.
    In its later years it needed lots of TLC as the corrosive effects became problematic and with the pitted front panel it was painful to look at.

NL7W likes this.
  8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Ten Tec Paragon and Omni V. Both bought new and trying to buy American.

Both a complete troublesome POS. Sent them back and will never buy a Ten Tec again.
    Then bought a TS-930, then another, sold one bought a TS-940, sold the other 930 and bought another 940. Now have a TS-950SD and a 940. Thinking about a TS-890.

The reason for the dual stations was for serious contesting and DXing. No longer contesting and DXCC is now a farce.

Carl

NL7W and WD4ELG like this.
  9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Some dont want to be stuck with 3 band CW only:p

10. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

DXCC is what one thinks it is, to you to may be a farce but I consider my DXCC something to be proud of, done on older used equipment, no towers, all SSB and 100w. We have no control over others, so lets focus on how WE ourselves achieved it.

K5YDD likes this.