trade 420 - 440 MHz for 144 MHz extension ? ( 140-150 MHz )

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by AG6JU, Mar 12, 2011.

?

Trade 420-440 MHz for 144MHz extension ? ( secondary allocation 140-144, 148-150MHz)

Poll closed Sep 8, 2011.
  1. YES, I like a idea of more 2 meter band.

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  2. NO, I rather keep 420-440MHz, NO 144Mz extension wanted

38 vote(s)
    84.4%
  3. 420-440MHz can go, don't need 2 meter extension either.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. want extension, BUT, somewhere else , may be HF, 6 meter ?

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD8DVR

KD8DVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah No..... the satellites transmit on amateur frequencies... If we LOSE those amateur frequencies (70 cm), the satellites would have to cease operation, as they are specifically designed as amateur sats. They are no different than any other amateur station. Their 70 cm transmitters would become illegal, and would be required to cease operation.

2. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

how about foreign amateur radio satellites ? we can still receive them, I am sure they will not turn it off, since it is legal in their country.

3. KD8DVR

KD8DVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, yes. If they are working, you can transmit on the 2 meter uplink freq.

4. AG6AN

AG6AN Ham Member QRZ Page

Definatley keep 70cm! Many of us use that band for local repeaters and satellites! What would we do with the old radios with 70cm on them? We would all have to go buy new radios!

5. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

Expand 12 and 17 meters or make 60 meters areal ham band continuous coverage, no channels.

6. K5PO

K5PO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not a sensible trade, the frequencies perform quite differently.

7. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the idea of expanding HF band, as well as expanding 2 meter band. I understand there are satellite band in 29 MHz also, I think having satellite on 29 MHz makes more sense, since most people have HF radio. perhaps uplink can be on 2 meter band, you can use FM radio send un-modulated carrier as CW, and down link to 10 mtr band ? I have done many experiment between 2 mtr and 440 MHz band, 2 mtr band can go much further distance compare to 440 MHz band, so 2 mtr band is more useful. as it appear lower the frequency further it travel.

8. K3DAV

K3DAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I would love to see more HF also. But the 70cm band is for all license classes. The sat frequencies on 10 meters are in the General class area. Tech licensees would no longer get to use them. If they take away frequencies anywhere above 50MHz, the trade off should stay above 50MHz, so all license classes can still have full access. I would like to see 6M get more frequencies to expand the SSB portion, but expanding 2 meters would be the most practical in a trade off where we lose 70cm.

We all have to face the possibility of losing UHF bands and above whether we like it or not. As wireless services expand, UHF and above are the most likely targets to be taken. 70cm is a pretty large band (30MHz), and any trade offs should be damned big also to fairly compensate. We should get frequencies above and below 2 and 6 meters, and big extensions on HF. Especially little bands like 17 and 12 meters.

I am one of those who likes 60 meters the way it is. I like not having guys tuning up 1KW amps 2kc from where I am trying to talk. Several more channels would be nice though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.