ad: portazero-1

Track Movement of Milky Way With Amateur Radio Telescope

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Oct 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the response Rob.

Nice web page you have too -> What's in Milky Way ... Besides Us?

I had been thinking that the OP project could be a great teaching aid in secondary school STEM.

73, John, WØPV

2. 9Z4A

9Z4A Ham Member QRZ Page

waw amazing.

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The site of the 'horn' is now called the "Green Bank Observatory". It is no longer part of the 'National Radio Astronomy Observatory'.

FYI---

4. K1FQL

K1FQL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To increase the integration time, a tracker is required.
    You can build one or buy one for this small antenna.

W1YW likes this.
  5. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

that's easy: a good equitorial mount, as I noted above, will allow integration times up to almost 12hours at a time..... and can be reset with good accuracy for multi-day integrations.

6. N3RW

N3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you are correct. I've been there on/off since the mid-80s. Old habit of calling it NRAO. Just love using the 20 m telescope for extra-galactic flux measurements.

7. N3RW

N3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

My web page has been used at both the high school and college level. I built it while working on the 3.5 cm & 2.1 cm galactic plane survey using the 13.6 m dual-frequency radio telescope.

KK4NSF and W0PV like this.
  8. WJ2L

WJ2L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bravo.

9. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

i LOVE stuff like this!

10. EA4GPU

EA4GPU Ham Member QRZ Page

WoW This project is totally amazing ...
    I always wanted to do some of this ..
    Very good job, regards.

11. W7SJP

W7SJP Ham Member QRZ Page

A most excellent article John--thanks for the link! 73

12. WB1BQE

WB1BQE Ham Member QRZ Page

The gods must have spoken to me directly on this one - I already had the exact SDR enroute from Amazon when I tripped across this article. (I also do astrophotography, and this looks like it would mount nicely on an AVX! )

My question is whether anybody knows approximately what the gain of the homebrew horn shown in this article is? (And would something circularly polarized such as a Helix yield a better result? (Sorry for my ignorance - up to now, "Microwaves" to me meant getting on the local 70cm repeater... :)

--al
    WB1BQE

13. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Al, in the fifth paragraph of the linked article cited in the OP the author Dave N2LVD stated, "An online calculator showed that a horn of those dimensions would have a respectable directional gain of 17 decibels."

73. John, WØPV

PS - I momentarily stopped making QSO's in CW Sweepstakes just to answer this question :p

14. WB1BQE

WB1BQE Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry - I worded my question poorly. I was wondering how close something like that could get to the theoretical gain, given some amount of mechanical imperfection. (And in the case of my antennas, Substantial mechanical imperfections... :) )

15. K1FQL

K1FQL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I looked for the dongle and the gizmo, I found that the link in the IEEE online article takes us to the Nooelec device that does not have a bias-T. The dongle with a bias-T provides an easy way to provide DC power to the gizmo via the gizmo output SMA connector. I posted the correct link in the comment section of the online article.
    https://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life...f-the-milky-way-with-this-diy-radio-telescope
    I hope that this will help those who want to work on this project.

WB1BQE likes this.