Tracfone photos to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by K9WW, Jul 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-gcopper
  1. K9WW

K9WW Ham Member QRZ Page

I know that this is not strictly radio related but I figured this is the place to ask. I have an old
    flip style Tracfone Model LG440G and would like to know how to download photos from it
    to my Mac Mini running Big Sur. I know it's an old obsolete phone but it does what I need.
    It makes calls and takes calls. I don't need or care to afford an expensive iPhone but really
    respect those who do and can exploit all of the fantastic features. Thanks in advance for your
    help.

73 and Happy Independence Day!

Kirk K9WW

2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Is the phone still be used as a phone? You might be able to either e-mail or text your photos from your phone to your Mac. (If you have Google Voice you can use it to receive texts on your desktop machine as well as on mobile devices.)

KP4SX likes this.
  3. K9WW

K9WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Richard,

Yes. The ol' gal still works fine for calls. That's about all I use it for but I do have a handful of photos that I'd
    like to transfer to my Mac. As a 40 year veteran professional portrait photographer I usually use my Canon
    5D for photos but have had a few times when I needed a quick snap or two and all I had was the phone.

As far as your suggestions, I am just not skilled enough yet to do those sort of things and I never text. It's
    just too cumbersome for me. I'll have to check into that Google Voice provided it's not too expensive. I do
    email from my Mac Mini and enjoy it but I'm not a keyboarder, just two fingers, slowly. No digi modes for me.

I'll be happy just to get the images to my Mac so I can use Photoshop to clean them up. I did download
    the PDF user manual from LDG. It explains how to take photos but nothing about downloading them.
    I also searched online and Youtube for info but everything was for Windows. I assume that I will need
    a cable from the phone's charging port to USB but I don't know where to go from there and don't want
    to lose my photos or mess up my Mac. Thanks again for your reply.

73 and '76

Kirk K9WW

4. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

No problem, Kirk.

Last I checked, Google Voice was/is free so it's worth a try.

Alternatively, there are programs--like AirDroid--that'll enable you to transfer photos via USB cable (and by WiFi) to get the job done.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  5. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That might work. It's certainly the road less taken. Most users didn't care to do it that way so while a cable may exist, you might also need software to use it and that software is not likely to exist for a brand new Big Sur Mac.

You might check to see if the phone has a slot for a memory card. If it does, you should be able to get an appropriate card and have the phone store the pictures on the card where you can retrieve them via a USB reader on the Mac later. That won't depend on any other software.

WF7A likes this.
  6. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Connect the phone to the Mini with the usb cable
    Open Photos on the mini.
    The phone should be detected and any photos found should start to display.
    Click Import All.

That is how it went with my RAZR and iMac.

WF7A likes this.
  7. K9WW

K9WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Fellas,

Thanks for all the helpful tips. I did try a cable but all it did was charge my phone. Then I found out that this phone has bluetooth
    and tried that route. I enabled the phone's bluetooth and it was recognized by the computer. After a download of Android File
    Transfer everything came together and I had success. Thanks again and enjoy Summer!

Kirk K9WW

8. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

You're welcome! About the cable...there are USB cables that only allow for charging and there are "real" ones that charge and transfer data, so for grins you might want to check that cable to see if it's the former.

9. K9WW

K9WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Richard!
    That's what I get for 4 bucks at Wallyworld. I'll look for the correct cable at Best Buy.
    I appreciate the info.

Kirk K9WW