TQSL again

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N3DT, Dec 2, 2019 at 3:11 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

So my W7 computer died thanksgiving day. I have access to the HD (sata), but not in W7. New computer, W10, I can access the drive with a usb port, hopefully with one of those universal HD devices, which I have. At worst I can install the old HD in the new computer, I've already done that to access some other info and that works. Reading the stuff on the ARRL tqsl site says to install the latest version of TQSL in my new computer and make a backup file from the old one, but I cannot make a backup from the old one since it's not running. Is there a file left on my old HD to copy over to the new one that will get me going again? I really don't understand that this tqsl is doing anyhow, I just try to follow instructions. Computer illiterate here, but I follow instructions pretty good when necessary.

2. K4RKY

K4RKY Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably better off in the long run to install the TQSL and request a new Cert. May have to wait one to two days for the email. If you have patience and are lucky from the old HDD you may search the backup folder for the TQSL files. It will be in a .zip file.

3. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

When you originally got your TQSL certificate by:

1. Applying for it at arrl.org, then
    2. Entering the PIN from the post card you received at arrl.org...
    3. And getting an email with your certificate attached

it would have been named "callsign.tq6"

If you still have the password emailed to you *along* with your certificate file, you can install it again. (if you can find this file and password or original email on your old hard drive)

If not, you have only one other option: apply for a new one.

4. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I prolly have the postcard, I think I saw it digging through my password stuff. Now finding the email may be problematical unless I can find my old mail data and restore it to my new one. But I may be able to search the old HD and find 'callsign.tq6'. I assume it will be 'n3dt.tq6? It may even be on my 2nd drive, I kept a lot of stuff like that on the secondary drive. If I have to I'll request a new one. Thanks.

5. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, in your case the file would be named n3dt.tq6.

This file came in an email with the password in the text of the email. The one thing I'm not sure of is (if you changed that password at some point in the future in the LOTW program) whether or not you need the original password to install this certificate on your new computer or if you need the password you changed it to, to install it on your new computer.

Good luck. On the other hand, it's not that big of a deal to just get a new certificate.

6. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was able to access my old Thunderbird email profile including all the old emails. But it may have come before I started using Thunderbird and was using dial up with erols. I can look, but in the meantime I've already started using the new Thunderbird so now I have 2 profiles, the current one and the old one which I copied to the desktop. But unlike Firefox, I cannot have 2 different profiles with TB, it's one or the other so I'm not sure where I'm going until I can sort out the TB profile issue.

I was able to hook up my old PS, a universal HD adaptor to USB and can access the old OS HD just fine on the new computer, it shows up as drive G. So that may make things a bit easier than swapping out drives in the new computer.

Thanks for the help though. I may just email for a new password, it may be easier in the long run than try to hassle with email profiles. I probably should just delete all that old mail anyhow.

7. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I found my backup tqsl file, but it has to be from the same computer to work, so I sent away for a new one.

8. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Here we go. So I got the certificate. Load it into the TQSL program. Make a new 'certificate'. Name it N3DT which is what I think the old one was. Location is Hume, same as before but there may be something different about naming this cert as opposed to the old one. In HRD 'upload to LOTW', there's a couple fields:
    login: https://p1k.arrl.org/lotwuser/default --as before
    upload: https://p1k.arrl.org/lotw/upload -- as before
    Username: N3DT -- as before and same as logging into lotw
    Password: same as before, same as logging into lotw
    Then there are TQSL options:
    Private Password: blank -- I'm sure I didn't use one before so it's blank
    Station Location: I put in Hume, not sure if I had one in before if it makes any diff.
    Then there's a couple lines already filled in
    ADIF location in the computer filled in auto
    TQ8 which is already filled in.

So I select a qso in the hrd logbook, try to upload it and it acts strange, usually it goes pretty fast, this time it's slow and finally seems to complete. In the field I have for LOTW upload it changes to 'yes'. I go into LOTW and I can't find my certificate nor can I find the qso I just uploaded. I only seem to have 2 certificates in LOTW, my old K3MWT call and the later N3DT call. Nothing about the new N3DT I just got.
    I know I'm pretty obtuse about understanding this stuff, but what am I doing wrong or right? Or do I need to contact the lotw people?

There are some errors in the HRD logfile, mostly to do with 'invalid date time signing' and LOTW.

Actually the 2nd certificate seems to be the one I just got. I don't know what happened to the one I used before. This newest one is good from 2019-1-3 but the qso dates start back in 2018.

9. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Just because you uploaded a few Q's to LoTW doesn't mean that they'll appear immediately - unlike eQSL. All LoTW Q's are put into a queue and the update process works from the oldest submission first.

Now that you have a good certificate, create a backup of it (Save a Certificate) - something like N3DT.P12 and store it elsewhere. Next time you have a mini-disaster, simply reload the P12 file - no need to apply for a new certificate.

10. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

The backup file is only good on the same computer, so that doesn't work. I did find my back up file and it wouldn't work, said 'wrong computer'. That qso I tried uploading is still not there this morning. Reckon I'll be contacting them.