.TQ5 file icon on my deceased dad's PC

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by W9UOM, Feb 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. W9UOM

W9UOM QRZ Member

I'm the executor for the estate of my dad, a ham. On his computer is a .tq5 file with his call sign. I think it's a request for a certificate. I don't know if he received it. I can't find anything else related to a certificate or QSL or ARRL on his computer or in his file cabinet. Assuming the certificate is something cool, is it possible to get a duplicate for my dad's scrapbook? He was a ham for about 50 years, and I grew up hearing "CQ, CQ, calling CQ" coming from the shack in the middle of the night. I appreciate any advice or guidance. Big thanks. Linda

2. KG2C

KG2C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This file was saved by the TQSL program when he tried to sign up for ARRL's LotW.
    It is a free service that allows hams to sent and receive confirmations for their contacts and apply them towards awards applications.
    That step is covered in the TQSL manual in section "Requesting an Initial Callsign Certificate".

3. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Think of the .tq5 certificate as a software "key" used to sign logs that are uploaded to Logbook of the World, to authenticate the source. It's not a confirmation of some achievement in the hobby.