Tower tripod with rotor mount....

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by NE2X, Sep 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. NE2X

NE2X Ham Member QRZ Page

Rather than me mounting a small tower with guy wires...is there a tripod that has a rotor mounting design?

2. AA5MT

AA5MT Ham Member QRZ Page

Check Texas Towers. I can't remember the brand, but they sell them. The roof tower has four legs with the rotor plate. They come in many sizes. I think the largest is over twenty feet, and the one I am familiar with is about five feet.

Tom

3. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

AA5MT, you are probably thinking of Glen Martin towers... but they have gone out of business, last I heard. There is a ham outfit that might fill the bill:

http://www.w8io.com/rooftower.htm

Rohn used to make a 9' 8" tripod, no rotor attachment, but I used to have two of them and they have even discontinued those. Most tripods these days are 5 feet or less. I think it mostly has to do with shipping costs. I have seen guys build a small tripod that sits on the ground and rotates the whole mast going up the side of the house with bearings or some such. K4KIO hexbeams are often put up with such arrangements... I believe they have a lot of pics on their website.

If you find a good solution, let us know... I myself have moved cross country and wish I had my old tripods back because cost of towers is expensive. Even if someone GAVE you a tower, mounting brackets and concrete is not cheap!

73, Kevin N4UFO

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Glen Martin isn't out of business AFAIK but they discontinued the roof tower products for some reason.

In any case, W8IO did knock off the design perfectly and states he's taking orders and making shipments: W8IO Roof Tower Products

The rotator mounting plate is an option, but also available.

K0UO likes this.
  5. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Not quite what the OP is asking about, but this might be of interest to those wishing to put their spare military surplus section masts to good use in the tripod department with one these:

https://goverticalusa.com/collectio...base-for-use-with-military-48-mast-pole-green

With shipping they come to $84.90 each and seem fairly heavy duty. The tripod that one makes with this can be as large or small as one desires depending on the number of mast sections used.

I'll find out more firsthand when the one I ordered arrives later this week.

Jeff

6. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

@AK5B , My welder friend made me one of those with HD muffler pipe. Works very well

AK5B likes this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The OP was asking about roof tripods or similar with facility for mounting a rotator inside.

They are available, and so are the thrust bearings to install above them in the same supporting structure.

8. NE2X

NE2X Ham Member QRZ Page

ty all 4 the replies....still looking

9. NE2X

NE2X Ham Member QRZ Page

10. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page