Tower Safety Standards in the industry.

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, Aug 11, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

A split-second of inattention can be fatal on a tower, just as at the wheel of an automobile. Even professional climbers with years of experience sometimes end up as casualties.

Many amateur radio tower accidents are the result of outright stupidity, like trying to erect a tower next to overhead power lines, or the crew that was taking down the tower at the QTH of Dewey W0ZUS (SK). Dewey's tower was base insulated with three stand-off insulators, one attached to each leg. The crew successfully dismantled the 100-plus foot tower down to the last 30 feet. Then they thought they could remove the bottom set of guys at the 30' level and that the ceramic insulators would somehow hold the last 3 sections vertical with no guy wires until they could finish the job. The tower fell over, and one of the climbers died.

3. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Don
    That can never be overstated.
    We recently lost a veteran climber on Mt. Lemmon here in Tucson. It only takes a split second to make that fatal mistake.
    However, it only takes a split second to remember your safety rules and abide by them at all times.
    I use several techniques to insure my climbs are absolutely safe at all times. While the professional climbers
    often climb free hand and hook on only when resting, I certainly will not. I use a tether around the tower, which is hooked
    onto my harness waist rings and are industry rated.
    The most important is the fall arrest bungee tether that stays hooked on the back of my harness at
    all times. Once I am at the working height I hook that onto the tower so if for some strange reason I lose my main safety,
    I have a safety "net" that will provide a good measure of survival without much injury like bumps and bruises.
    I know a lot of climbers who are cocky and overly sure of their ability. While that kind of self assurance can be considered
    a virtue, I disagree. Cockiness can lead to disaster in an instant and as such, I believe in maintaining the utmost respect
    of the work in every respect. I never lose my thoughts about maintaining safety while working and have never had
    a near fall or one of those Oh S*** moments. I plan to keep it that way.
    I look forward to reading the papers when they are published.

I have seen advertisements for climbing belts that are not worthy of consideration. For me, the only choice is a 3 point
    harness, not a belt. Mine was fitted for me by the manufacturer and because CAL-OSHA regulations required us to wear
    them at all times above a certain height, it became a part of my tool kit when building Cell Sites and especially when working
    on top of tall buildings. I feel very safe in it too which adds to my confidence in climbing.