ad: QSLcardEU-1

Tower Battle in Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N5PZJ, Jan 11, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Three years ago I put my 1000sf house up for sale after 24 years. It snowed pretty good the day it went on the market (although it was on the websites for three weeks as "coming soon" to the market) and by that evening we had three offers well over asking price, all with contingencies. We simply took the bid that we felt would go through and work within our time schedule. They did an inspection (a few small niggly things but nothing big, I had kept the house in good repair) and a radon test. All in all it took a couple of weeks so even in our hot market I think they did a good inspection. FHA and Veterans loans are pretty onerous inspections, they will find everything physically that has potential to go wrong. But our home wasn't in a flood plane and nothing within miles to create any hazards other than the wet lands and the gaggle of geese to make noise in the winter.
    I wouldn't buy a home that I couldn't have a quality inspection on.

WZ7U, WX7P and N2EY like this.
  2. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

U need to re-read my post and relax..

WZ7U, WG7X and W4IOA like this.
  3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So...the cost was $0 to house hundreds of athletes based on the idea that the dorms existed?
    Perhaps you don't understand the full cost of housing "hundreds of athletes".

Utilizing existing facilities is the obvious idea of housing Olympic athletes. However, just because you house them in an existing building does not mean it costs $0. You have essentially turned over infrastructure built and paid for by taxpayers to the Olympic Committee for $0. The cost of those facilities including maintenance is borne 100% by the taxpayer or the University.

The basic problem I have with the Olympic Committee is that they should pay for the infrastructure they use rather than ask cities to get into bidding contests on how much they can donate to the Olympics.

4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, it's Greeley. But it's much improved from what it used to be.

There used to be huge feedlots in the city limits. Those are gone, though there are smaller operations in outlying areas (and huge lots much further away; CO has some of the largest in the country). There is a large meat packing operation in town that occasionally has an odor problem, and sometimes the smaller feedlots can cause a problem.

https://www.greeleytribune.com/news/does-greeley-smell-not-so-much-anymore/

Fun Facts:

Greeley is named for Horace Greeley, the NY newspaper editor who is quoted as saying "Go west young man, go west". He was a force in the founding of the Union Colony, a religious utopia commune which became the city of Greeley. Union Colony was a pioneer in developing extensive irrigation projects to water crops in the arid plains climate, fed by the mountain snowpack.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 5:47 PM
  5. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, you DID...

6. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

I seriously doubt you could see the GGB from Cupertino even on a good day. The GGB is over 60 miles away from Cupertino with obstacles in the way.

You MAY have seen the Dumbo (Dumbarton) or the S and M (San Mateo Bridge) which are both visible from elevations in Sunnyvale.

7. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember when the Sutro Tower went online in the 70's. SF UHF stations went from being a snowy mess to actually watchable in Southern Alameda County.

AS for the tower itself, NO WAY that gets built today. The NIMBYS of the new Millenium have way more money and clout than they did in 1960's SF.

8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I do believe they have corrected the odor problem. I remember the days living in Denver getting a whiff of Greeley when the wind was aligned correctly. Can't recall experiencing that recently. But that may be due to Denver's air being foul enough to overcome the Greeley winds on a yearly basis now!

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

USC is a private school, the taxpayers don't pay for anything there.

But I think you still don't believe the 1984 games turned a profit for the city. They really did.

The 1984 Summer Olympics are widely considered to be the most financially successful modern Olympics[4] and served as an example of how to run the model Olympic Games. As a result of low construction costs, coupled with a reliance on private corporate funding, the 1984 Olympic Games generated a profit of more than $250 million.

The Oxford Olympics Study established the outturn cost of the Los Angeles 1984 Summer Olympics at US $719 million in 2015-dollars. This includes sports-related costs only, that is, (i) operational costs incurred by the organizing committee for the purpose of staging the Games, e.g., expenditures for technology, transportation, workforce, administration, security, catering, ceremonies, and medical services, and (ii) direct capital costs incurred by the host city and country or private investors to build, e.g., the competition venues, the Olympic village, international broadcast center, and media and press center, which are required to host the Games. And the "income" from the games is estimated to have been just over $1 billion, yielding a profit of over $250 million after everything was paid.

Using stuff that's already here...

Los Angeles venues
    Southern California venues

It was a more spectacular event than others for a few reasons, mostly "star power."

The 1984 Olympic Torch Relay began in New York City and ended in Los Angeles, traversing 33 states and the District of Columbia. Unlike later torch relays, the torch was continuously carried by runners on foot. The route covered more than 9,320 mi (15,000 km) and involved 3,636 runners. Noted athlete O.J. Simpson was among the runners, carrying the torch up the California Incline in Santa Monica. Gina Hemphill, granddaughter of Jesse Owens, carried the torch into the Coliseum, completed a lap around the track, then handed it off to the final runner, Rafer Johnson, winner of the decathlon at the 1960 Summer Olympics. With the torch, he touched off the flame which passed through a specially designed flammable Olympic logo, igniting all five rings. The flame then passed up to cauldron atop the peristyle and remained aflame for the duration of the Games.

John Williams composed the theme for the Olympiad, "Olympic Fanfare and Theme". This piece won a Grammy for Williams and became one of the most well-known musical themes of the Olympic Games, along with Leo Arnaud's "Bugler's Dream"; the latter is sometimes attached to the beginning of Olympic Fanfare and Theme. Composer Bill Conti also wrote a song to inspire the weightlifters called "Power". An album, The Official Music of the XXIII Olympiad—Los Angeles 1984, featured three of those tracks along with sports themes written for the occasion by popular musical artists including Foreigner, Toto, Loverboy, Herbie Hancock, Quincy Jones, Christopher Cross, Philip Glass and Giorgio Moroder.

The Brazilian composer Sérgio Mendes also produced a special song for the 1984 Olympic Games, "Olympia," from his 1984 album Confetti. A choir of approximately one thousand voices was assembled of singers in the region. All were volunteers from nearby churches, schools and universities.

Etta James performed "When the Saints Go Marching In" at the Opening Ceremony.

Vicki McClure along with the International Children's Choir of Long Beach sang "Reach Out and Touch" (the Diana Ross solo hit).

Lionel Richie performed a 9-minute version of his hit single "All Night Long" at the closing ceremonies.

I dislike some of the politics of the IOC, and probably the USOC also; but I do support international olympic games as not only a couple weeks' worth of interesting viewing for a few billion people, but something many athletes aspire to as a crowning achievement to even qualify, let alone medal.

N2EY likes this.
  10. KD2AVW

KD2AVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I know. I was born in the Commonwealth. That Lexington and Concord stuff was over the top.
    My advice for this guy is to ditch the house in Framingham and find something in southern Maine, a little inland from the coast preferably a elevated if possible, facing the coast, with some acreage. He can find something appropriately pricey between Portland ME and Portsmouth NH, depending if he can find work there or southern NH, northern Mass. I wouldn't try to commute into the Boston area.
    'You can't get there from here.'