Tower Battle in Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N5PZJ, Jan 11, 2020 at 12:32 AM.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

According to city financial records, the city itself turned a profit. Some of that was indeed given back to the LA84 Foundation, but the revenues generated exceeded overall cost, including all overall cost, by more than $140 million, even after giving the foundation $93 million.
    Of course, the goal from the beginning was to not pay for anything. From a 1980 L.A. Times article:
    Despite the "Spartan" undertaking for the '84 games, it was at the time the most photographed, televised and otherwise "covered" olympic games in history. It occupied 75 sites spread over roughly 4,500 square miles, and with the exception of one bicycle racing track, every venue already existed and was used just the way it existed. UCLA, USC and other university campus facilities were used, as were the Coliseum, the Rose Bowl, the beaches -- whatever was there.

N2EY likes this.
  2. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That’s not what I said. That’s not even proper English. Someone call the forum Grammar Police... oh, wait...

N2SR, N2EY and W7UUU like this.
  3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All I can say is LA is the master of Spin.
    Since it has been so profitable for you LA may have the Olympics forever if you so choose.

4. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Another case of ADS - antenna derangement syndrome.

KQ9J, N2EY, N5PZJ and 1 other person like this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The committee would never allow that. It's already been 36 years since the last one, and the next one won't be for another 8 years! That's about as "close together" as the committee allows.

Fun fact: My ex-XYL participated in the '84 Olympics in L.A. Not as a qualified entrant, but as a referee in the women's soccer matches; she played women's soccer at USC and graduated, Class of '84, and they invited many graduates who had sports backgrounds to participate in various ways. A lot of events were held at USC, but also held at almost all the local universities, and there are a lot of them. That's why the "activities and venues" were spread out over 4500 square miles. Thanks to television and dozens of STLs, to the viewers it looked like they were all close together; they weren't.

Peter was brilliant and put it all together on literally a $15 million budget. USC dorms served as the "olympic village" which housed hundreds of athletes from other countries. Cost = $0. UCLA did, also. Cost there was $0 also. In the summer, the dorms are barely occupied and just sit there, so why not use them?

IMO this is why the "games" should really be held in big cities all the time; the resources and venues already exist, and they're popular tourist destinations, anyway. The winter games are a bit different, since you need mountains and snow for those, and there aren't any big cities I can think of that have the mountains and snow -- so that one's more of a challenge.

N2EY likes this.
  6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All that and more is why we love LA

7. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I love LA: because its so far away!

W4IOA likes this.
  8. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

NO DOUBT! Like who the hell got paid off on that one? Sounds like the exact same scenario here in nearby Eastvale. Developer built on top of old dairy farms and less than 200 yards away from sewer treatment plant. Neighbors put up a bitch and recent treatment plant got a huge complete redesign. Unbelievable in so many ways!

9. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I disagree. So suppose if we have:

1. Developer builds subdivision next to sewage treatment plant
    2. Developer sells houses to unwitting people without disclosing obvious problem
    3. A bunch of people discover that they live in a cloud of poo gas
    4. Those people complain and organize and run for office
    5. Eventually the plant has to be "fixed" at taxpayer expense.

In my opinion, step #2 is basically a scam that inevitably results in step #5. Developer walks off with the money, leaving the county with an artificial crisis.

If the seller is required to disclose the poo gas problem, then you avoid step #5. If the seller has no such responsibility, you get step #5.

It sounds righteous to argue that the buyer should know better, and no disclosure should be required by the seller---but that's essentially arguing that the developer has the right to make step #5 happen.

WD0BCT and N2EY like this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not everyone hates them, either.

NO.

73 de Jim, N2EY