ad: vanity

Tower Battle in Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N5PZJ, Jan 11, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Subscriber QRZ Page

https://www.milforddailynews.com/ne...io-tower-construction-for-now?template=ampart

An 80 foot tower in Framingham, Massachusetts was denied.

In a unanimous decision, the ZBA voted to vacate the building permit because, in its determination, the ham radio tower Framingham resident Mikhail Filippov wants to build doesn’t comply with local setback requirements as proposed. Filippov's attorney says he's waiting for the ZBA's final opinion before he decides where to take the case next.

See link.

YF8RQN and K1OIK like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Really too bad - especially considering "it's made of extra strength steel so would allow him to speak with people as far away as Moscow!!"

Gotta love "reporting"

Looks like a great lot for a tower - but the neighbors obviously think differently.

Dave
    W7UUU

[not "doxing" - the street address is published in the news article linked above]

upload_2020-1-10_16-38-44.png

K4AGO and N5PZJ like this.
  3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Not a bad place for a poor Russian immigrant:D

There are many ham towers in Framingham as Im sure Fred is aware of. Maybe once he finishes that he can get back to some ARRL Director biz.

W7UUU likes this.
  4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

"The city issued him a building permit, and Filippov started to pour the foundation.

Then his neighbors found out."

Sounds like one of those "and then the fight started" jokes. :(

K4AGO, VK2WP, N5PZJ and 1 other person like this.
  5. KJ4VTH

"Donna Gittelsohn, a Coldwell Banker real estate broker, gathered opinions from real estate professionals throughout the area stating that an 80-foot radio tower could take at least 10% off the sale price of nearby homes."

Oh, please! :rolleyes:

WQ4G and K1OIK like this.
  6. KJ4VTH

"Sophia Banar is holding out hope that Filippov will take the concerns of his neighbors, which include the students and employees at the Learning Center for the Deaf, into account and give up the fight. They are potentially impacting hundreds of children that are already disadvantaged."

Really?!? :confused:

WQ4G likes this.
  7. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Absolutely, you don't think RFI from a 1.5 KW transmitter won't get into their hearing aids?
    RFI from my 100 watt transmitter sets off my CO2 detector and smoke alarms.

KR4YON, K4AGO, WA5VGO and 1 other person like this.
  8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

My antennas do no such thing to any of my detectors, up to the 300 watts or so I'm able to make with the amp. Must be because of an OCF or similar such system allowing lots of common mode current.

N0TZU likes this.
  9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a neighborhood of NIMBYs

NK2U, WQ4G, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.
  10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

And the proposed tower wasn't even going to be in "their backyard" - it was going to be in his!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    WZ7U, YF8RQN, G3ZPF and 3 others like this.