ad: M2Ant-1

Tour the Russian 'Woodpecker' (DUGA): Featured in CNN Travel News

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Mar 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Assuming 1kW into Duga at 27 dBd gain, received power at Chicago (into a dipole) for path length of 8100 km at 14 MHz is -42 dBm. (More or less for an ionospheric path)

Scale accordingly for greater or lesser xmtr power.

KK5JY likes this.
  2. CT7ANG

CT7ANG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I tried to copy this array and planning was thrown out!!

Councils are just not ham radio friendly these days.

W1FVB and K6CLS like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I built one but hid it my attic ... thank goodness I have a really big attic ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

4. WA3YRE

WA3YRE Ham Member QRZ Page

In 1979 I was on a cargo ship that called on Maputo in Mozambique. The chief mate and I were both hams. As we started into harbor he told me to knock off that he would take over my duties and I was to go to my stateroom and hide my ham gear as he had just done with his.

Just before I tore things down I took a fast listen on 20 meters. I had pegged S meter on my Argonaut 509 from the woodpecker. I took the antenna off and it was still pegged. After that I quickly secured my equipment in the bottom of my seabag with clothes on top. I left out only my portable sw rx.

When I went up on deck to resume my duties I saw a huge HF array similar to the one in the photos in this article on an island to our starboard (north side of the channel). I have no idea how much RF exposure there was but I am sure it was very high, especially when I could have the S meter pegged with no antenna in a steel box with a 13 or so inch opening (port hole).

With modern satellite one wonders why such HF radar is needed. I expect it is because those countries who have built the HF OTHR have the means and plans to destroy satellites in orbit and feel that others do as well.

ALPHASIERRA6, W1YW and WN1MB like this.
  5. IW2DMO

IW2DMO Ham Member QRZ Page

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Add 66 dB for power, 13 dB for focussing, 20 dB for dwell cycle, and 3 dB for the large cylindrical metal object(target), not thin wire dipole, 3 dB for backplane on Duga.

There's your kilowatt+ hit. On the surface. Delivered. You either get electrically incapacitated, or fried.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It ain't a Faraday cage :)

Its outrageous that they had this device pointing into harbor...

8. AB3QD

AB3QD Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you see the CNN headline about “Soviet mind control radar”? LOL Some people will believe anything.

W1YW likes this.
  9. W1UO

W1UO Ham Member QRZ Page

When everything was fired up at the same time, usually in the evenings and mornings. And assuming my math is correct.

VOA Site A Beargrass, NC
    500kW = 57dBw + 22dBi antenna gain = 79dBw EIRP x 5 transmitters = 400 MegaWatts EIRP
    250kW = 54dBw + 22dBi antenna gain = 76dBw EIRP x 3 transmitters = 120 MegaWatts EIRP
    40kW = 46dBw + 22dBi antenna gain = 68dBw EIRP x 3 transmitters = 19 MegaWatts EIRP

VOA Site B Grimesland, NC
    500kW = 57dBw + 22dBi antenna gain = 79dBw EIRP x 5 transmitters = 400 MegaWatts EIRP
    250kW = 54dBw + 22dBi antenna gain = 76dBw EIRP x 3 transmitters = 120 MegaWatts EIRP
    40kW = 46dBw + 22dBi antenna gain = 68dBw EIRP x 3 transmitters = 19 MegaWatts EIRP

10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

When they're operating QRP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.