ad: elecraft

Tough car to stick an antenna on, ideas?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KF2Q, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was wondering whether I should have mentioned that in my post. I can see the front page of your website one day saying in big bold letters:

Step 1: Buy car pre 2015. :(

2. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Right on Conor!

I just recently had an opportunity to drive a 2015 Ford Hybrid Fusion. There is so much plastic on the outside, there is barely room for a ballmount. The inside isn't any better. And RF noisy? If you listen off station with the AM radio, all you hear is a large buzz.

3. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Alan,

Im afraid the days of mobile HF may be coming to an end as older cars are replaced by newer. Its a sad prediction but likely possible.

4. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

It may. One thing is for sure, until the auto industry s forced to adhere to Part 15 (they're currently exempt), hybrid vehicles aren't just going to interfere with us amateurs, but with everything else electronic.

Of course, there is the lighter sheet metal, and higher use of composites, and fairly soon the only hunk of real metal will be the engine. Heck, the case of some automatic trannies are already composite.

May be, I'll buy a very large 3 wheel bicycle, and.......

5. VE3DDL

VE3DDL Ham Member QRZ Page

well if all fails you could put on the glass mount type on the window .they are not the best but do work ok in city areas to reach repeaters check them out.like old cell phone ant on glass..

6. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Another "alternative" might be internet mediated mobile remote base. The cars now are coming out with mobile hot spots.....instead of image planes we can worry about G4 bandwidth.

7. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Derek, I'd like to join you in that scenario, but alas I cannot.

All (no exceptions) vehicle made since 2013 use passivated glass. Passivate glass has metallic particles embedded in the glass for two reasons. One is UVA and UVB protection, and the other is to limit the amount of RFI from the internal electronics. This fact all but eliminates the use of glass mount antennas. Even if you could find a spot without passivated glass, the coax would still do most of the radiating, and the majority of that INSIDE THE VEHICLE!

Guys what the results would be?

8. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. You need a diamond bit and a lot of patience. Its best left to a glazing company as the drill bits are a considerable price.

9. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used large aluminum pizza pans to form a ground plane for vhf and uhf antennas. Called them "pantennas" and they work quite well but takes some creativity to mount one for mobile use.

John
    WD5IKX

10. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Like I said before, CB guys have been doing it for years. Huge metal sheet under the cars roof with an antenna mount to provide a ground plane for their big Wilson and other massively ridiculous antennas etc.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.