Tough car to stick an antenna on, ideas?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KF2Q, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Its double skinned and you can't get to the back of the outer skin without serious metal work which will reduce the integrity of the pillar resulting in it possibly collapsing in the event of an accident involving a roll over.

We're slowly getting to the point on modern cars where a magmount <cough/spit> is going to be the only realistic solution.

2. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Wanna bet?

Several new models use a lamented outer skin, consisting of aluminum and composites. It is light, strong, sound absorbing, and no magnetic properties at all!

3. KK6GMN

KK6GMN Ham Member QRZ Page

I know Alan will hate this, but I use an adhesive mount on my side glass. This sis not a through glass system, just an adhesive mount that can be scraped off if needed. It works fine for my dual band mobile installation. but my repeaters are all pretty close.

4. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, and the coax cable is doing most of the radiating.

5. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

The dilemna continues...

Try mounting your antenna using a 3/8-24 cb mount and order a dual band 3/8-24 antenna, I have one but dont use it, and mount it to your front bumper beam. You will have to create a small hole for antrnna to jut out but you can remove the front plastic bumper and by law there is a steel bumper beam. Should provide a decent ground plane for say 5-10w of VHF UHF.

I own this, used a little before I practiced proper mobile application, and it served me very well. Unity gain but your not gonna do better than unity or nagative gain on your car with out serious fabrication and a good Larsen NMO2 antenna.

6. AC7NT

AC7NT Ham Member QRZ Page

I would go with Diamond NR770HNMO and trunk mount like Diamond K400CNMO as both are good for hood as well, as long as you attach to a flat surface. Most of them can adjust on two axis to make sure antenna looking good. I would stay away from drilling into the roof to mount an antenna on your vehicle. Most of the time there are headaches involved with running the coax under a headliner or even getting room to do so without destroing it in the process. Mounting on the hood or fender is better, both for running coax and also preveting costly damages.

7. KF2Q

KF2Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Certainly looks like a thru-glass is the answer on a rear side window. My repeaters are nearby and strong, even a cheap rubber ducky hits everything, so the less-performing glass mounts will still work well enough. Thanks to all!

8. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

You can't use through glass antennas on a vehicle equipped with passivated glass!

9. KF2Q

KF2Q Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a Ford, they don't use it on the side windows.

10. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

Could you drill a hole through the side window glass? I'm not sure how difficult it is, but there must be bits for it. Lot's of cars in the past had side window holes for wing window hardware. Maybe you could practice on a junk yard car window and see how it goes. I'd much rather do that than drill through my car body (windows are replaceable!)

Cheero and 73,

Mark/n7eku

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.