Totally Green and Wondering...

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by ROBJPALADIN, May 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. ROBJPALADIN

ROBJPALADIN QRZ Member

Hey All,
    First post here. Just dipping my toe in the water of radio comm. From what I've read so far, GMRS might be the place for me to start. Sounds perfect for me and my family to keep in touch, IF I can access repeaters to get from Clinton, Utah to Tremonton, Utah. (about 40 miles as the crow flies).
    I know there is a repeater in Farmington, Utah and another one in Ogden, Utah, but I haven't been able to find any north of Ogden.
    Wondering if anyone here has any ideas on how I can find out what I need to know in order to move forward.
    Thanks.

2. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

i dide a search. lots of info on web...

GMRS range, repeaters

3. ROBJPALADIN

ROBJPALADIN QRZ Member

Thank You! I will check it out when I get done driving for the day....

4. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just remember that 'theoretical range' is purely that. Your range with a battery-powered radio ( GMRS or not ) and a poor 'stubby' antenna after the first 2 minutes of transmit time will usually be less than 'theoretical maximums'. Some of the mobile GMRS radios ( eg. those sold by Tandy / Radio Shack ) are not as easy to purchase- unless one goes to the Tandy site. I have no financial interest in Tandy / Radio Shack ( though I once sold for them ). Cobra also makes GMRS products, yet you may want to look at some of the products made by Motorola and others before purchase. I have no financial interest in Cobra, and only previous training from Motorola.

5. ROBJPALADIN

ROBJPALADIN QRZ Member

I appreciate your input. I'll check it all out...

6. W0MSN

W0MSN Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want a good used mobile rig, check out the Kenwood TK 880H. You can find them on eBay already programmed for the GMRS band. 40 Watts of reliable power. I have a few of them that we use up near Lake Superior for family communications and love them. 40 miles will be a stretch unless ideal conditions.

7. ROBJPALADIN

ROBJPALADIN QRZ Member

I was hoping to stay with handheld for now but I will keep the mobile units in mind, thank you.