ad: cq2k-1

Totally "1986" Station / Early Software for TS-440s

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KK4NSF, Aug 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

For the last few weeks I've been working on my "totally 1986 style" Ham shack.... and it's coming along great! I've got my TS-440s radio, the right speaker, power supply, mic, rs-232 interface, and antenna tuner. Right now I'm looking for a SM-220 station monitor. NOW it's time to get it up and running with a Vintage 1980's IBM Computer!

I've got the computer, with a 20mb HDD and serial port.... but I can't find the right software for it. I've got later software (mid 1990's), but no real early DOS / WIN / Kenwood software for it. (Note: I've got the right OS.... I just need the rig control software and software for early digital modes.)

Does anyone out there know of a link? have a copy of the software they can share? or have experiences using early computer interface software?

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Computer Reset in Dallas, TX was the place to go for 1980s and early 1990s computer parts.
    They had tons of IBM PCjr items. Access is limited and items not sorted.
    DOS versions (1980s) and early OS/2 (late 1980s). Windows 3.11 appeared in early 1990s, Win95 and Win98 came a few years later.

This video by LGR is now six weeks old ... numerous buyers showed up ... so the rare items were quickly gone. Some are now on eBay with markups of 100% to >500%
    https://blog.adafruit.com/2019/07/1...tagecomputing-retrocomputing-lazygamereviews/

KK4NSF likes this.
  3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Something from 1986 is a "boatanchor"?

Now I'm feeling old.

W4NNF, W7UUU, KS2G and 3 others like this.
  4. KK4NSF

you know....I'm with you on that one. Unfortunately. folks who don't know the real potential of the TS-440 often put it in that catergory. so that's where I figure they are most likely to read my discussion.

5. KK4NSF

while appreciated, I don't need hardware. I've got the computer. What I'm looking for is the older software.

6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

You did not look closely,
    a full collection of IBM PC application software (remember the 5” x 8” binders) was in Dallas.

IF you are looking for Amateur Radio Specific MS-DOS software ... THEN it requires Google searches and a handful of private repositories. Many of these applications were written by individual radio amateurs or software authors. Today, those authors retired, died, or closed up shop at the Millennium with Windows XP widely accepted release.
    In the 1980s, many amateurs were using Commodore 64 or other home/hobby computers due to cost. My IBM-XT with 20 MB hard drive cost $3100 in January 1984 (far beyond radio amateur computer budget).

Possibly you have a list of applications ? Contest logging? Packet from late 1980s?

7. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A 440 is all solid state. So is the 430. Those are not boat anchors.

To me anyway, a boat anchor requires some hollow state technology inside.

W4NNF and W7UUU like this.
  8. WB2GCR

WB2GCR Ham Member QRZ Page

I seem to think that Kenwood offered some sort of control software for the TS-440S??

9. WD0GOF

WD0GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

In my view, 80's are obsolete, 70's are vintage, 60's golden age of boat anchors and pre 60's monolithic boat anchors. ,

10. KK4NSF

apparently they did.... but I can't find a copy of it, or any of the command codes. I may find the source code for a Linux rig-control software, and re port it for DOS using QBASIC. Being an old computer guy does have it's advantages.