Total Disregard for active CW frqs...Is Digi now just ham spam?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N7BKV, Feb 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice work.

W5UAA likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Please tell me this is tongue in cheek.... you seriously QRM'd stations to move by brute force? :eek::(

That's just wrong, if you're being truthful.

"two wrongs don't make a right"

Dave
    W7UUU

WG7X and WA1GXC like this.
  3. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

What percentage of regular and proficient CW ops are Extras?
    What percentage of regular digi ops are Extras?

That might be a self sorting factor in the sub 7025 privilege. But then there are the total scoff laws.

4. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Enforcement is expensive... No money in it...
    Frequency Auctions is where the real money is right now...
    Money Talks, BS Walks, just as it always has.

W3DL and K0UO like this.
  5. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

In all fairness, the ARRL Bandplan for 40m has CW and Data sharing the same portions of 40m...

6. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely not! I kept at least 200 Hz off any active RTTY frequencies. That's plenty of room between 50 Hz signals. I'm not one of those kinds of operators. I always listen before I transmit.

7. W5UAA

I'm not sure, but it feels like the CW ops numbers are dropping and the digi ops numbers are increasing every year.

8. W9RAC

Boy Im not sure I can agree with that. I'm on CW a lot, a rag chewer at heart. I run across many new OPs weekly, many Technicians, many who put the key down 20 years ago and are starting back up etc. Take a peek at the RBN, USA filtered calls and you will see 100's of CQ's at any given time. With the new digi modes appearing it may seem like many have moved over but I'm not sure the source of that population is from CW.
    Ill be honest, I know nothing about digi modes, zero. It's just not something that has ever attracted my interest, nor did UHF/VHF. I'm just a SSb/CW HF guy. At this point abound 70% CW. I can see your point. 73 Rich

W3DL, N7BKV, K0UO and 2 others like this.
  9. W5UAA

Yes, I hope you're right. During this past WES, I answered a CQ on 40; saw he was a *new* SKCCer at about 13 WPM, answered him and he went on to start up a rag chew. I asked him if he was participating in the WES and he responded he didn't know it was going on. And we chatted a bit. I found that refreshing.

Being a computer guy, I've always dabbled in just about all the digi modes beginning in 1981. I've played around with the Joe Taylor modes a bit also. I've always ended by saying to myself, "Double-clicking contacts is not my cup of tea."

But what I see now is a subtle push for the fundamental purpose of ... "emergency service" -- (97.1(a)) and the push to connect amateur radio to the internet as a way to get more folks to "recognize and enhance the value of amateur radio." Voip phones and WinLink being the best at this task.

To be honest, I don't ever see amateur radio being a vital part of any "emergency service" any more but the community pushes ahead anyway. I see all the HF digi modes as just something the community sees as a gateway to achieve something that I believe will never happen (unless something of Biblical proportion happens to the planet.)

KD2OKK likes this.
  10. W9RAC

I agree the amateur radio day of saving the Titanic or Amelia Earhart are long past in reality. It's a hobby, enjoy it. If a time comes when it happens to be useful in a emergency, great. Being on alert and practicing emergency drills is about as useful as hiding under your desk at school during a nuclear blast like they use to teach us. 73 Rich

W3DL and WG7X like this.