Total Disregard for active CW frqs...Is Digi now just ham spam?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N7BKV, Feb 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

So I'm listening to W1AW on 7047.50 and some digi op comes on keeps wailing away right on frequency. Over and over again. For a very long time. Aren't all ops regardless of mode supposed to check for clear frequency? Or does digi get a pass?

K0UO, N1OOQ and KF9VV like this.
  2. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

SEEMS TO BE A BRAVE NEW HAM WORLD WHERE ANYTHING GOES NO MATTER THE CONSEQUENCE FOR THE OTHER PERSON LATELY...
    I hate to think that this is another "New Normal" which I believe is a piss poor reason and NO excuse for this behavior.

K5GHM, N2AMM, K0UO and 2 others like this.
  3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They should check, but,... many don't. - Before I even go on-the-air,... I check on DxSummit.fi for activity on a frequency I'm thinking about crankin'-up on just to make sure that there isn't some exotic DX (that I can't hear) on frequency.
    After that perfunctory check,... a couple of "QRL IMI's are common courtesy. IMHO

WB4BIN, K9ASE, N7BKV and 2 others like this.
  4. SM0XHJ

SM0XHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Could be he didn't hear W1AW (but i doubt that).
    I have a feeling many people using the modern digi modes (JT* FT*) have their speakers turned off.
    And when default frequencies are hard coded in the program, people assume those frequencies are allocated exclusively for that mode (7047.50 is the hard coded frequency for FT4 I believe).

N2AMM and N7BKV like this.
  5. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, So where are all the new and improved qualified Official Observers??
    May we concur there is indeed malicious interference going on?

N7BKV and N4NYK like this.
  6. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of it might be malicious.

Some of it is the fact that many digi ops simply never listen. They just look at a waterfall and say, "There's a blank spot" or "There's a bunch of FT8 activity" without any real understanding of how bandwidth actually works in the real as opposed to virtual world, or what zero-beating is.

I wish they would obey the rules. But I'm not going to let it ruin the hobby for me, either. It's just how people are these days.

N2AMM, N4NYK and N7BKV like this.
  7. AB0CW

AB0CW Ham Member QRZ Page

There appears to have been ZERO consideration for existing use of frequencies when the author(s) of WSJT made ~ 7048 the de-facto default frequency for FT-4. Apparently they don't listen to their receiver very much....there has always been lots of CW there, not to mention W1AW. Users of WSJT in general will understandably use the default FT-4 freqency settings in the software...but this default should be MOVED up just beyond the FT8/JT65 crowd. I wish the software authors would do this.

And yes, they do not seem to listen to see if there is existing activity on ~7048, as far as I have been able to tell. I don't think they have audio on their receiver turned up...they are just looking at the waterfall.

W3DL, N2AMM, N2OTG and 4 others like this.
  8. NQ8J

NQ8J Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people will never care and other people are just unaware. Perhaps the easiest solution would be if the WSJT software would recognize CW transmissions within the receiver bandwidth and either disable transmitting, or at least have a warning box pop up that states that the frequency/nearby frequencies are in use.

W3DL, N2AMM, N7BKV and 1 other person like this.
  9. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's hard to wrap my head around it. Listening has always been such a big part of radio, from the beginning. In thirty years probably no one will be listening anymore, just looking at screens and (maybe) listening to recovered digital audio, never hearing QRN or QSB or what auroral flutter sounds like.

Weird.

W3DL and N7BKV like this.
  10. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Visual (waterfalls) radio and automated computer-to-computer RF communication certainly leave out the aural aspect. I agree with you.
    No listening = No radio. At least in the historical sense of the hobby.

But then again, technology and interests move forward. What is to it anymore when you can set up your computer and work the world to get your DXCC awards in a weekend and never listen another station and hardly have to spend an hour in the chair at your station to do it all?

All you have to master the skill of plugging in a USB cable. (snark)

Still a hobby.

I guess.