top of garage or down in the dirt???

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG5JPG, Feb 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

^^^^THIS^^^^

seriously, don't do it

2. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

Would it work before corroding? Then tar over it :)

3. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i have seen that suggested - tarred chicken wire. Sounds messy AND ugly

4. KG5JPG

KG5JPG Ham Member QRZ Page

well, you couldn't see it from the gourd, BUT, I DON'T THINK EVEN TAR WOULD STOP THE SALT WATER DEGRADATION HERE....

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

You would need to silver solder every joint to prevent the ingress of water, which is dangerous and almost impossible to do with galvanized chicken wire. If you don't understand the reason, take it up with a professional welder. They will tell you of the breathing hazard associated with welding galvanized anything. Now, if you could get the mesh pre galvanized, it would still prove not worth it because chicken wire is made of steel, not copper, so welding each joint with your Weller soldering iron would be a PITA. Just put down radial wire and be done with it, unless you can afford a sea of copper, which won't buy you all that much better performance anyway. The radials don't have to fan out in a perfect pattern to be effective, although from a purists perspective that is probably heresy, so now I'm a heretic too. ;)

KC3JIN likes this.
  6. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

JPG,

HF is bad everywhere unless you have a good antenna system. I have a friend in Alvin who talks to the VKs and over the US every day. His antenna is a StepIR on a 70 foot tower.

7. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

MFJ has an artificial ground...do they work?

8. KG5JPG

KG5JPG Ham Member QRZ Page

yep. even with a 70 foot tower I don't think I can get out too well. the local hospital, University of Texas Branch Medical School. absolutely pours out RF. but they are the original 800 lb. gorilla and do as they please...

9. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Your question is a hard one to give a solid answer to because there are so many variables that you have not described. Perhaps you don't know the answer to those questions yourself.

Here are a couple of things to consider.

A vertical antenna like the one you have described usually works better if it is not down among the ground clutter. This includes nearby buildings and structures. If this is your situation then maybe putting it on the garage is better.

If you have a problem with receive noise and this dominates your enjoyment of HF radio, then getting the antenna away from the source of the noise and interference can make a big difference. Often having the antenna near your house makes it noisier than having it located further away. If this is your situation then maybe putting it in the back yard is better.

If you think about it, you will see that the answers to questions like these will give different solutions to the problem.

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Solution: use WELDED wire screen. It's available in various widths/lengths with vinyl coating. Connect and solder sections together, and coat with Plasti-Dip or similar coating. Rust-Oleum has a spray version. :)