top of garage or down in the dirt???

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG5JPG, Feb 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
  1. KG5JPG

KG5JPG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, please take pity on a semi newbie for one more radial ques6tion. I have a Hustler 5btv antenna. Currently sitting on top of my one story garage. base is at about 9 feet up. Old garage. I have radials up but they are limited by the dimensions of the roof top,about 16x20 feet. can't over hang to front/street or side/neighbor's yard. would it work better to place the antenna in the yard where I have marginally better access to radials for 2/3 of the circle? rest of the yard is bricked. I could get nearly 20 feet in two directions, about ten in one. not good I know. Thanks for your thoughts. my reception is horrid at present. was no better with a G5RV or a double bazooka for 40/80 . Mostly just a lousy place to live for radio. I live on Galveston Island, near Texas. Thanks, Philip KG5JPG

2. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you're better off with the vertical on the roof. If you can't have long radials, have more radials.

K7MH, WA8FOZ, WA7PRC and 1 other person like this.
  3. KG5JPG

Thanks, sort of my thoughts but open to good ideas. Philip

4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting turn of phrase - we sailed a couple of years ago out of Galveston on Royal Caribbean - the part we were in wasn't very nice, to say the least. Very industrial, with lots of smokestacks... had to stay in a pretty sketchy hotel not far from the cruise terminal (which was terrific!!)

I'm just curious why you phrase it "Galveston Island, near Texas" when Galveston is in fact a part of Texas. Is there a divide between what folks on Galveston Island think and what the "mainland Texans" think?

Sorry for the slight hijack but stuff like this makes me curious....

Dave
    W7UUU

5. KG5JPG

well, since we are actually an island, and really don't have much to do with the mainland the phrase had become popular. At one time Galveston was the wealthiest city on the Gulf Coast and really was the tail that wagged the dog. Now it is mostly superfluous to the decisions of Texas, but don't tell the local leaders....I moved here after five years on the road in a fifth wheel RV. with 20 yrs. in Houston before that. I prefer not to cross the cause way anymore. If only HF wasn't so really bad here...

N7ZAL and W7UUU like this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Awesome reply - thank you!!

Dave
    W7UUU

7. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

You dont have to mow the garage roof, hopefully, and your kids or dog dont play there. I wonder if covering the roof in chicken wire or some metal fence would make the most incredible ground plane.. could also consider coupling your ground with a gutter downspout if the garage has one.

Thinking out loud here and I have never done that - but I've haunted here long enough to know that height and path to ground are both very big deals - if you've got the room and the means to 'speriment..

WA7PRC likes this.
  8. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i use a ground mounted 6btv currently and have incredible 'luck' with it. How many radials do you currently have? If i am right, a non-ground mounted vertical needs the radials to be installed at a 45 deg angle from the radiator - at least that's what the 6btv manual states. If it were me, I would try it both ways - on the roof with adequate radials and on teh ground with as many radials you can get into the confined space. That's really the only way you'll know.

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

The radial angle helps get impedance closer to 50 ohms from the much lower value it would other wise be, plus it's easier to run them that way on a raised system. A raised vertical with a minimum of four radials will outperform a ground mounted one with the same number, which is why the ground mounted guys are using 60 or more radials. It's all about ground losses if I believe what all I've read over the years.

There's always that sea of copper one could always put down.... :rolleyes:

WD0BCT likes this.
  10. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I envision a thousand corroded connections between a thousand twisted wires acting as a thousand diodes and generating a thundering herd of harmonics.

AF4RK, W4NNF, WC5P and 1 other person like this.