Top loading 6BTV for 80 meters

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N5YPJ, Oct 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

I have seen the Hustler 6BTV modified for improved 80 meter performance / bandwidth by removing the resonator and replacing it with a horizontal wire but what about using sloping wires instead to top load it to desired segment of 80?

2. M0AGP

M0AGP Ham Member QRZ Page

Creating a cap hat? That sounds like it should work.
    I guess in this mod you lose 40m right?

3. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

Yeah. I do have another antenna for 40 meters that could be put up easy. Interested in if more could be gotten out of the 6BTV on 80.

4. KH6AQ

KH6AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have improved the 6BTV on 80 meters by three methods. In each case 40 meter operation is lost.

Removing the RM-80 resonator and adding a top wire as you propose
    Replacing the RM-80 with an RM-40 and adding a top wire
    Replacing the RM-80 with an RM-40 and adding a top hat

For 160 meters
    Removing the RM-80 resonator and adding a helium balloon supported top wire
    Replacing the RM-80 with an RM-40 and adding a top wire
    Replacing the RM-80 with an RM-40 and adding a top hat

Three different top hats were tried: a lightweight model, a sturdy model I sold commercially and a DX Engineering Hot Rodz™ Antenna Capacity Hat.

https://www.dxengineering.com/searc...toview=SKU&sortby=Default&sortorder=Ascending

M0AGP and N5YPJ like this.
  5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

A horiz wire off the top would load the vertical for 80M , the radiation comes from the lower end of the vertical where the greatest current flows.

N5YPJ likes this.
  6. M0AGP

M0AGP Ham Member QRZ Page

I added 160m to the 6BTV by clipping an 18 foot wire to the base of the whip on top of the 80m resonator- this allowed me to play in a 160m CW contest. Some people have had good results with this on 160, but my radial field was too sparse: 16 X 16 foot radials grount mounted.