Top Band CW

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N8AFT, Sep 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Had opportunity to enjoy three 160m CW QSO's yesterday evening. Condx were QRN free.
    These started when I asked to see if my pal could load his 40m vert on 160. We QSY to 1812 to try.
    Sure enough his vert indeed loaded and propelled his meager 8 watts of RF output to me for 599.
    He tried using his ant tuner but that cut his signal by half. Indeed this was experimental ground.
    The results convinced him to pursue a loading coil and impedance match network today for our next tests.
    After we cleared I was called by two other stations in succession and enjoyed meeting Tex in Iowa
    and then Wally in NC. Both were 100w and FB copy. Early season 160 at its' best...
    So have you operated CW on Top Band in the past and do you intend to so this season?
    And if so, maybe for the first time?

Learn Morse.
    Do CW

2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

CW is the only mode I've operated on 160m, almost all of it over the winter months. I had an inverted-L up for a few years that I could load on 160m but that antenna is no longer up but I'm working on a 160m antenna option for this winter....

3. N8AFT

Hello Dave! Yes, there's some good 160 ant options. I had good results with the Spi-Ro 160 shortened dipole
    made with their loading coils. Overall lenght is 100'. I experimented with mine low to gnd til I got really serious and invested in my
    Cushcraft MA160v, an amazing vert... It loads 30m FB w/o tuner also 20 es 40 with a tuner but seems pretty efficient.

K7TRF likes this.
  4. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been licensed since the late 70s, and last year was my first foray into 160m. I operate mostly CW. I started about mid-season with an inverted vee up about 80 feet in my pine trees. Later in the season, I took that one down and put up an inverted L with the base elevated 9 feet above ground level. The vertical portion is 68 feet from the elevated base to where it branches off horizontally. The inverted L has 8 elevated radials at 130 feet each. Between the two antennas, I've worked 48 states and 29 DXCC countries so far. Yes, I have AK and HI on 160m cw, but I still need Nebraska and South Dakota.

Nebraska is rare DX for me. I've worked and confirmed Ducie Island on more bands than I have worked and confirmed NE. Nothing new here on 160m during the summer. QRN is terrible. I'm not a big fan of cold weather, but I'll be ecstatic when the QRN subsides.

5. N8AFT

FB Tim... I'll be QRV @ 1812 tnite...

6. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

In September and October is a very good time for North American stations to work the southern hemisphere 0n 160 the QRN is getting lower in North America and hasn't started up that much in the southern hemisphere
    CW works

7. N0NC

N0NC Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked a couple 160 meter contests and chatted on ssb a few times when I lived in the country. Now live in a duplex in the city, so the 260 ft low dipole went bye bye. Trying to talk my friend ( who still lives out of town) into putting it up for this season. Did manage to work russia once on 160 cw with 100w, but he must have had a heck of an antenna.
    N0NC

8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried various loaded wires and the 80 M dipole shorted to make a "T" but never had much luck. I bought a Dentron 80-160 M transverter for my TS520, and got 50 watts out.
    So, when I moved to this QTH I had room for a 250 Ft + ;dipole and that WORKED. worked coast to coast with 100 W on CW.

BUT quit calling 160 M the top band !!! WE have two bands with longer wavelengths now !! 630 and 2300 M now.

N8AFT likes this.
  9. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I look forward to joining you guys on 160m CW, but I don't know when that's going to happen.

10. N8AFT

I was able to get the 35' vert along side of my fiberglass motorhome to load up on 1812 while camping last week.
    Band condx were vy poor so did not have a chance to see how well or poorly it performed.
    Hope to hear some SKCC participation on 160 this weekend while at Mohawk Dam in Warsaw, Ohio.
    K8JD John, maybe you can be my QSO?