ad: elecraft

Top 5 uses for SDR Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD5W, Jul 2, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4MID

K4MID Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh ok, I thought you meant a local SDR. I understand now. That one in Utah is great sometimes I use it to see how much activity there is to decide if I’m heading into the shack.

M1WML likes this.
  2. K7HV

K7HV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The amount lost in royalties by artists whose work is broadcast on the few pirate radio stations is miniscule - in addition, the quality of audio is usually pretty bad. These days, artists are ripped off legally by music streaming services like Spotify who grossly underpay artists for their work.

M1WML and K6CLS like this.
  3. N2RGA

N2RGA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Will the RTL-SDR BLOG V3 R820T2 RTL2832U 1PPM TCXO SMA SOFTWARE DEFINED RADIO do C4FM - Fusion? and if no is there any add on I can use to get C4FM - Fusion?
    Also if there is a blog or instructions on how to achieve this. Please explain like you are talking to a newbie in this.
    thanks

4. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's detailed
    Thank you.

73 JF1IRQ

5. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

got to this link and scroll down to P25 Phase I (C4FM) Might give you a starting point

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/c4fm/

6. KC8YXA

KC8YXA Ham Member QRZ Page

What software are you running ???

7. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

OP25 will decode these modes.

8. N2RGA

N2RGA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks, KI5AAI, KC8YXA & KB9MWR Great info. I will order the RTL-SDR BLOG V3 unit and Figure out what software to use with it for all your suggestions. I'm running Windows 10 and also have a Linux machine for my Daily backups for the Web Hosting server.

9. W9WLW

W9WLW Ham Member QRZ Page

A very helpful video - thank you.

DE
    Eric
    W9WLW

10. WA5KM

WA5KM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have run many NETS and have been on the cutting edge of SDR. I use them for PAN display mostly. I do not have one in my ear on Net Control .... preposterous.

11. SM5PEY

SM5PEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I will certainly get that small fix and start listening.. 73 de Ginnie/SM5PEY

12. W4XA

W4XA Ham Member QRZ Page

I really don't want to be "Dennie Downer" here but I would have thought the suggested uses would have been more ham radio related.

#5 ADSB Not ham radio related at all and the author was completely wrong about it's use. It's NOT federally mandated for all aircraft everywhere. (it's only required in certain types of airspace for certain aircraft, certainly NOT all aircraft)

#4. WEFAX Not ham radio related and HF WEFAX is fast becoming obsolete in favor of for high resolution SAT based weather products. And you can use any HF receiver to get those signals including many vintage vacuum tube receivers to do it.

#3. SSTV finally something ham radio related. But I would not agree it's widely used anymore.you hear maybe 1 SSTV signal on 20m during band openings.

#2. SAT weather... again not ham radio related but possibly useful if you don't have a TV or smart phone. (who doesn't have a TV or smart phone?)

#1 Pirate Radio. Again not ham radio related, and you can use any HF receiver to listen.

Everyone here might have a different list of things they use an SDR for but my current number one use is to to connect to a home made shielded loop antenna for direction finding interfering noise on Amateur Radio HF bands! This is probably one of the most important uses there is for a small SDR

A close second is to monitor 6 & 10m openings which are beginning to happen now. (of course, you could use any decent conventional receiver for this)

Cheers,

Rick (aka Dennie Downer)

HA3FLT and WA5KM like this.
  13. KC5NYO

KC5NYO Ham Member QRZ Page

Outrageous!!

14. WA7YQA

WA7YQA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

you showed receiving NOAA satellite pictures which is fun but limited to a few passes a day. I use mine now for receiving GOES data which I don't have to track and is sent all day long in hiRes formats with charts, full disc, full color as well as data from other satellite images uploaded from the other side of the planet. I attached some gifs I made from pictures I downloaded off GOES17 which gives you a time-lapse for the day

Attached Files:

KD5W likes this.
  15. WA7YQA

WA7YQA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

First of all nothing about the video said "top five ham radio uses for an SDR radio" it was "top 5 uses for SDR radio" and it is obvious it is his top 5 uses. ...it was probably put in QRZ because some of the uses were ham radio related....and I would also disagree that some of the others you mentioned are not related as I can see practical uses for them inside out hobby.