ad: CQMM-1

Tools For Learning CW And A Couple New Toys

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Jul 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

This video is kind of a part 2 to my original video when i decided to start learning CW. Here, I'm just showing some new gadgets I picked up. And I like my new paddle.

Subscribe to HamRadioConcepts HERE --->> https://www.youtube.com/user/EricHofer1004

Attached Files:

2. W3ALG

W3ALG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice overall video for those getting started, aids to help with CW..Thanks

3. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

positive_attitude.jpg Donald sending CW new one.jpg
    Have lots of fun learning CW and thank you
    for joining the ranks of Morse Operators.
    Have A Fun Filled Weekend
    73...... K1LKP......

4. YV6BXN

YV6BXN Ham Member QRZ Page

Real nice video lot of toys to improve cw skills for new fellows in our hobbie thanks and 73

5. K2NED

K2NED Ham Member QRZ Page

nice product display view -- too bad you don't have them working.
    I have found that all these products are basically JUNK and the only way to get into CW is to spend the time learning it-- both send and copy. no hardware needed. yes it takes commitment and time as well as gray matter usage.

KG7VTO likes this.
  6. KB7AK

KB7AK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, no reason to buy any of that stuff

7. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I learned CW the old fashioned way, by listening to the bands. You can't learn it watching words pop up on a screen. Anyway, 3/4 of the time those gadgets don't work.

8. NS8N

NS8N Ham Member QRZ Page

I use lcwo.net (I have no affiliation) whenever I get rusty...which is a lot because I never keep my station up for any length of time. It's a great resource to learn CW.

9. WB6TOU

WB6TOU Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with NS8N. I was qrt for 30 years and got the alphabet back with lcwo.net. Found book "Princess of Mars" in code on the web and started listening to mp3 files at the slow end of the speeds that were there. Started slow but just beyond what I could handle until I could handle it. Moved to the next speed. Continued with mp3 files, increasing the speed as soon as I could head copy, and found I could make my own with ebook2cw.exe and guttenberg.org. I listen when I am driving and just let the code come in and out of focus as I listen but driving time is wasted listening to AM radio. CW mp3 files are not a driving distraction any more than a radio and at least gives me practice. Found the CWA with CW Ops group and went through level 2 and 3 training programs. Now working on 30 wpm with an old series of books written about "The Radio Boys" from back in the day. It has been two years of working on it and I find that a keyboard is hard to use as typing does not flow as well as a using a key. When the code is being sent after I type, it confuses me so typing speed is a frustration. As for using a translator, I don't get even close to head copy when I use those and they miss more than I do. Morse Code is the only digital code that can be copied with the human mind (I know, railroad telegraphy... same idea) and why not keep your creaky old brain busy on something that keeps it fit. I have been at this for two years now and feel pretty good about it.

If you only want to answer CQ, give call sign, name, and qth, write a program and let the computer do it all. You will be assimilated....

AF4RK likes this.
  10. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

Learning CW needs to be fun. If this guy likes this stuff, then God bless him! Have fun.
    AF4RK

11. NS8N

NS8N Ham Member QRZ Page

It WAS fun for me! I hated tuning large portions of the bands not being able to understand anything. That was my motivation. I am aware that there is software that can decode/send it for you with a keyboard but had no interest in hooking my rig to my computer.

At any rate, a few hours a day on the forementioned website is all it takes. BTW I'm no "mode snob" at all, enjoy whatever you like! I just may get around to interfacing the TT Jupiter to the PC one of these days and trying digital modes.

73s