Too much power equals nasty audio.

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by VE3VFI, Jul 31, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the problem the OP is complaining about is down to the fact that most people use their Receivers with full gain, and rely on the AGC, which is effectively audio-derived. (after all, it's only then that the S Meter reads correctly).

The problem is that if someone is very strong on SSB, even if they are using NO Compression/Processing, the background noise etc will come up between every slight pause, due to the receiver's AGC pumping (unless you can select a VERY slow time-constant setting, which very few rigs have.)

SO then if you have a strong signal that is using a fair amount of Compression, it will be TWICE as bad.

If that station was weak, then you wouldn't complain about their compression . . . in fact it might be what is making them readable!

But you can't complain about someone using High Power and Compression . . . just because they are strong with YOU, doesn't necessarily mean they will be strong with some distant station they are trying to work. If you want to listen to them without your receiver making them sound worse (due to your AGC pumping), then simply turn the RF Gain down, or switch in some front-end attenuation.

All of the above is presuming someone has a good transmission . . . of course, if you are using any form of tx audio processing, you should make sure you don't have distortion, or too much background noise or echo in the room, etc etc. (which of course, many people do - but that is a different issue)

But funnily enough, on this issue, I have thought for some time that I might modify my TS-930S just like I did my R4A many years ago . . . I made the time-constant of the AGC in the "Fast" position what it originally was is in the "Slow" position . . . and made the "Slow" setting about 5 times longer. In that way, strong signals sound nice too, without having to adjust anything.

Roger G3YRO

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    N8VIL likes this.
  2. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Old thread...

Op lives in Aussieland. He's probably hearing ops from Indonesia who run their amps full-bore (sometimes Chinese amps at 2 or more kilowatts), along with high compression and some fans running in the shack, on top of the aircon -- because it's freaking 100 degrees plus humidity in there.

Talk to said ops often, from here in Korea.

3. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I hadn't noticed that . . .

I wonder why some people suddenly resurrect two year old threads ?

(on many Forums Threads are normally locked if nobody posts for more than a few months, to stop that happening!)

Roger G3YRO

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Its a complaint that never goes away. He stated it poorly, as many have pointed out.

5. K1ZJH

K1ZJH Ham Member QRZ Page

What difference does it make? Maybe for the classifieds, but some vintage topics may be of interest to newer Zed users.